A few hours per week
Long-Term (6 months-1 year)
85 Broad Street
As a mentor to a Year Up student, you’ll have a unique opportunity to help young adults navigate new experiences and shape their careers. It’s your chance to inspire-and be inspired by-motivated, up and-coming talent in the workforce. You’ll also have opportunities to network with like-minded professionals.
Wall Street Campus 85 Broad St, 6 th floor New York, NY 10004.
Borough of Manhattan Community College (BMCC) Campus 70 Murray Street, M1415, New York, NY 10007.
- Provide support and guidance as student transitions from the learning and development phase to interning at a company.
- Encourage and assist with continuous leaning through problem solving, resume review, and support in job and college applications.
- Improve student communication and professional skills while boosting their self-esteem.
- Assist in building and accessing professional networks.
- Communicate with Mentee using email, phone, or text at least once a week.
- Provide feedback to Year Up staff about your mentor-mentee relationship, to celebrate successes and address any issues or concerns.
- Be participant with Mentee at their Year Up graduation.
- 24 years old and above.
- Have a Bachelor’s degree, work experience and are familiar with entry level positions.
- Come from a variety of career fields and educational backgrounds.
- Have the ability and desire to work with young adults (ages 18-24) from diverse, urban backgrounds.
- Positive, attitude, good listening skills, patience and understanding.
- Willingness to share knowledge and experiences, make connections and build networks.
- Attend an orientation training to learn more about being a mentor and how Year up can support you.
- Meet with mentee at least once a month for a minimum of 9 months.
- Attend at least two gatherings with other Year Up mentors, mentees, and staff to build community, share experiences and have fun.
- Mentors will become a positive role model for a young adult entering the professional world.
- Expand your network by connecting with other like-minded Year Up mentors.
- Be part of a dynamic non-profit organization that strives for excellence and produces social change.
- A deep understanding and increased skills in working with youth.
- Training Provided