Full time (30+ hrs/wk)
Long-Term (6 months-1 year)
12000 Goodwood Boulevard
This is a great professional development opportunity!
The BR STEM Network is a collaborative partnership among community partners that is helping inspire and prepare all BR youth to succeed, lead and innovate in STEM fields and in any career path they chose. Led by the Foundation for East Baton Rouge School System and representatives from the East Baton Rouge Parish School System, the local higher education system, community organizations, employers and STEM institutions, BR STEM is dedicated to addressing STEM at all ages throughout their lives and in all places - in schools, out-of-school time, professional development, work-based learning, mentoring and volunteering, and events. With STEM mentoring as a solid anchor program, goals for the Network include:
1) Increase student interest, participation, and achievement in STEM.
2) Increase number of effective STEM educators and leaders in all settings.
3) Increase meaningful business and community engagement in STEM programming.
4) Increase broad family and community support for STEM education as a priority for Baton Rouge region.
To assist with our effort, VISTA members will continue legacy work of developing curriculum that integrates digital tools and computer science as well as recruiting and training mentors for high-quality STEM programming during school time and beyond. VISTAs will also assist in the development of marketing materials to promote STEM as a viable career pathway and a social media plan to promote the mentoring program. VISTAs will develop materials and programs that raise awareness of the value of STEM education throughout the community, especially for parents. Finally, VISTAs will assist in the development of professional development opportunities for volunteers and educators - focusing on expanding science content, engaging project-based teaching and valuable collaboration strategies to entice partnerships with local universities, scientific institutions and businesses
This role will specialize in:
- Identifying outreach opportunities and best practices for parents and the larger community to explain the value of STEM education and career pathways.
- Maintain relationships with Out-of-School (OST) time partners (i.e., summer camps, libraries, museums, etc.) on behalf of the organization
- Collaborate with partners to create and promote STEM events within the community
- Develop and produce flyers and collateral such as PowerPoint presentations for volunteer recruitment and other events.
- Stipend Provided
- Training Provided
How To Apply
APPLICATIONS ACCEPTED ON A ROLLING BASIS
Please visit our listing HERE for more information and to apply online!
What is AmeriCorps?