Mission of New Women New Yorkers
New Women New Yorkers (NWNY) is a nonprofit organization empowering immigrant women through workforce development and networking programs, and through community building and storytelling.
Board Program Committee: Purpose & key responsibilities
The purpose of the Program Committee is to assist in overseeing the development, periodic review, and implementation of the strategic plan, and in reviewing major programmatic initiatives and ensuring their consistency with New Women New Yorkers’ mission and vision.
Key responsibilities include:
- To facilitate discussions about program priorities for New Women New Yorkers, and provide programmatic guidance and direction;
- To identify and promote programmatic collaboration with strategic partners that advance the mission of the organization;
- To initiate and guide program evaluations, and oversee new program development.
What will be your primary responsibilities as a Board Director and member of the Program Committee?
Responsibilities of Board Directors sitting on NWNY’s Program Committee include, but are not limited to:
Oversight, Governance, and Leadership
· Attend Board and committee meetings and organization events.
· Communicate regularly and serve as a trusted advisor to the CEO.
· Ensure effective organizational planning and monitor effectiveness of programs and activities.
· Approve NWNY’s annual budget and business decisions.
· Assist the CEO and Board in identifying and recruiting other Board Directors.
· Approve compensation arrangements of the organization’s employees and independent contractors.
Community support and outreach
· Ensure NWNY has an appropriate outreach and communications strategy, and assist implementation.
· Act as an ambassador for the organization, and forge connections with key stakeholders.
· Financially support New Women New Yorkers in a manner commensurate with one’s ability;
· Seek out potential donors and create introductions;
· Support fundraising events and other fundraising activities in order to secure adequate funding for the organization to fulfill its general purpose and key goals.
What is New Women New Yorkers’ give-or-get policy for Board Directors?
The financial commitment of Board Directors is necessary to ensure the success of New Women New Yorkers. At a minimum, each Board Director pledges to annually give or get $1,000 with a $250 commitment upon the commencement of her/his position as a Board Director.
How long would I serve on the Board and what time commitment is needed?
Board Directors are appointed for a two-year term, and are eligible for re-appointment.
The Board meets in plenary once every two months, with a two-week advance notice. The Program Committee meets every other month as well. Board Directors and members of the Program Committee are required to attend all meetings, or to send an advance written notification should they be unable to attend.
Board Directors are also expected to attend NWNY’s events and programming on a regular basis, so that they can represent NWNY and gain a better understanding of our work and impact and of the women we serve.
In addition to attendance to meetings, events, and programming, the position of Board Director and member of the Program Committee requires a minimum time commitment of 8 hours per month.
Desired skills and experience
· Knowledge and experience interacting/serving NWNY’s target community;
· Experience in program evaluations and/or program planning and design, particularly in the areas of workforce development and community building;
· Ability to communicate with diverse audiences and to cultivate relationships;
· Personal commitment to devote the time necessary to perform the responsibilities of Board Director and member of the Program Committee;
· Integrity and a passion for improving the lives of NWNY’s beneficiaries;
Service on NWNY’s Board of Directors is without remuneration or compensation.
How To Apply
Email resume with brief cover email to explain interest in serving on the Fundraising Committee of NWNY's Board of Directors.