Times of day
A few hours per week
50 Cooper Square
GO Project Chinese Translator (Saturday Volunteer)
GO Project: Who We Are and What We Do
The GO Project shapes the futures of low-income New York City public school children by providing critical academic, social and emotional support starting in the early elementary years. GO provides year-round educational and family support services to children who are performing below grade level and equips them with the confidence and skills needed to succeed at school, at home and in life.
GO School Programming: How YOU Can Help
GO School is a focused, seven-month Saturday program with a staff of certified teachers and skilled volunteer tutors. Students attend on Saturdays between October and April for a half-day of focused academic skill-building. Professional teachers lead lessons, support volunteer tutors, and communicate with parents to keep them informed about their child’s progress. Volunteer tutors commit to a semester of volunteering in a classroom and mentor their students to provide consistent and individualized needed to succeed.
Volunteer translators provide critical communication support between our GO families and our staff. Interpreters are responsible for translating English into Chinese (both Mandarin and Cantonese) in order for our program to communicate with our families regarding program updates and their child’s academic & social-emotional progress/needs.
Specific Translator duties will include:
· Assist with parent meetings, workshops and orientations for Chinese speaking families.
· Provide interpretation for our families, including any cultural/linguistic references that may need to be explained.
· Maintain our families’ right to confidentiality.
· Collaborate with GO Staff, Volunteer Manager, Head Teachers and GO Families Staff to address and respond to our students’/ families’ needs.
The position would require a commitment to our GO School Saturday program. We can accommodate a semester schedule or a full year commitment.
- Session II: January – April 2018, 13 Saturdays 9am – 12:45 pm
GO School Spring Session Dates 2018
Jan 6, 20, 27
Feb 3, 10, 24
March 3, 10, 17, 24
April 7, 14, 21
- Avenues-the World School (1st - 5th Grade): 259 10th Avenue, between 25th and 26th Streets
- Grace Church School (1st - 5th Grade): 86 4th Avenue, between 10th and 11th Streets
- Grace Church High School (6th - 8th Grade): 46 Cooper Square, at 6th Street
- LREI (1st - 5th Grade): 272 6th Avenue, at the corner of Bleecker Street
- St. Luke’s (1st - 3rd Grade): 487 Hudson Street, at Hudson Street and Christopher Street
- Berkeley Carroll (1st – 2nd Grade): 701 Carroll Street, between 6th & 7th Ave
Placement is based on a complimentary match between programmatic need and volunteer strengths. We will honor preferences when possible.
· Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
· Interest in strength-based collaborative work, education and social services.
· Ability to speak both Mandarin and Cantonese is preferred.
· Prior experience in simultaneous and consecutive interpretation is a plus.
The ideal candidate is exceptionally intelligent, warm, engaging and energetic. He or she also:
· Sees the possibilities as opposed to the obstacles and is creative and tenacious in solving problems.
· Enjoys working with others in a collaborative, creative environment.
· Has a strong work ethic and high standards for his/her own work and the work of others; is flexible and has a lively sense of humor.
Benefits: How Can We Help YOU
- Personal gratification through enhancing the lives of young learners.
- Ongoing professional development and training opportunities.
- Leadership opportunities for sustained dedication and commitment.
- Being part of a vibrant and diverse volunteer community.
How To Apply
How to Apply
- Application Form
- Cover Letter/Personal Statement explaining why you want to volunteer with the GO Project
- Resume (for volunteers 18 and older)/ High school transcript (for HS students)
- Personal reference
- Background check (for those 18 and older)
If interested, please fill out the online form at: https://goo.gl/forms/iGs9YOzEUsNCujrk2 . The online application form can also be found on the GO Project website: goprojectnyc.org under “Get Involved” and “Volunteer Opportunities.”
If you have any questions or would like more information about the available volunteer positions, please contact email@example.com or call 212-533-3744 ATTN: Olivia Nunez, Senior Director of Community Engagement.