1530 DeKalb Avenue Northeast
About the organization:
H.Y.P.E. to Empower, Inc. aims to transform the lives of children, youth, young adults, families, and communities living with HIV. H.Y.P.E.’s targeted population are HIV positive children, youth, and young adults between the ages of 13-30 years old, and their families affected by HIV.
Our comprehensive and relevant inactivates involve community services, HIV-education, academic education, counseling, medical, social, and professional support, and self and social empowerment.
In addition to our direct services for HIV positive individuals and communities, we also aim to provide our skills and expertise to persons, groups, organizations, and businesses who wish to utilize the HYPE model in targeting areas where they want to make a difference.
The Development Chair will serve as a member of the Board of Directors.
- Must embrace the mission of H.Y.P.E. to Empower, Inc.
- Strong interpersonal and writing skills.
- Must have strong creative writing
- Have knowledge and experience in fundraising techniques, particularly major gift fundraising.
- Possess the skills to work with and motivate volunteers and board have the desire to get out of the office and build external relationships.
- Be a "self-starter" and goal driven to initiate donor visits and fundraising calls.
- Be organized and exhibit "follow through" on tasks and goals.
- Display a positive attitude, show concern for people and community, demonstrate presence, self-confidence, common sense and good listening ability.
- A bachelor’s degree or a proven track record in this department.
- Meet prospective donors and supporters on a continual basis to establish effective communications with them.
- Grow a significant gifts program including identification, cultivation, and solicitation of major donors.
- Oversee grant seeking including research, proposal writing, and reporting requirements.
- Build the planned giving program with a focus on deferred gifts such as bequest expectancies.
- Implement the annual fund program, including mailings and yearly fundraising drives with the Development Committee and Board of Directors.
- Direct capital campaigns and other primary fundraising drives.
- Coordinate fundraising special events with the Development Committee.
- Work with the Board of Directors to ensure and implement Board Give Get Policy.
- Oversee prospect research.
- Work closely with the Executive Director, and Board of Directors.
- Make public appearances/accept speaking engagements to share information about the organization with the community.
- Recruit for individuals for the Development Committee.
- Oversee fundraising database and tracking systems.
- Oversee creation of publications to support fundraising activities.
- Maintain gift recognition programs.
- Demonstrate professional conduct at all times.
- Create and research new avenues to raise funds for the organization
- BA (required), MA or can demonstrate strong skills in the field of fundraising
- Demonstrated excellence in organizational, managerial, and communication skills
A nonprofit development Chair will build the foundation that will raise money for a not-for-profit organization. The Development Chair will create and implement a development plan that details how the organization solicits donors and identifies funding sources such as grants, in-kind donations, charitable events and marketing opportunities. The Development Chair shares his development plans with Development Committee, Board of Directors, and Executive Director. As the governing body for such an organization, The Development Chair also spends time personally soliciting donors. As such, strong relationship building and solicitation skills are important.
The Development Chair also will prepare annual budgets for their organizations. The budget details the cash required to fund programs. A successful budget should be realistic, consistent and measurable. The director provides detailed information about how much money must be raised to meet budget criteria. The budget must be approved by the board of directors before it is implemented.
Development Chair should expect to create marketing materials, and social media and advertising campaigns as part of a public relations strategy. The nonprofit Development Chair is also responsible for branding. This concept, critical to successful fundraising endeavors, should focus on a strategy that expands the target audience through community relations, speaking engagements, newsletters and charitable events.
Well-qualified candidates should possess a bachelor's degree in business, marketing or nonprofit leadership with fundraising experience. Other experience includes, but is not limited to, public relations, prospecting, business development, and negotiation. Persuasive writing, strong verbal communication and the ability to interact at the executive level are other key qualifications.
How To Apply
- Submit a cover letter
- The application file name should read: First name Last name - Fundraising Guru
Submit to For faster response, please send your interest to:
- LaMar Yarborogugh: email@example.com
We also ask that you look out for emails address with the first Name.Last firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com
We strongly support inclusiveness and encourage immigrants, refugees, LGBTQ+, individuals with (disabilities, and traditionally marginalized communities to apply.