Part time (10-30 hrs/wk)
Long-Term (6 months-1 year)
100 meters north of the plaza, Casa del Sol, office #9
Abriendo Mentes is a nonprofit organization operating in Guanacaste, Costa Rica. Our mission is to empower individuals from rural/underserved communities to develop the skills they need to seize education and economic opportunities for themselves and their families. Read more about what we do on our website: www.abriendomentes.org
The Sports and Exercise Coordinator is responsible for planning and implementing sports and exercise activities for children ages 6-12 in Potrero and Brasilito, Costa Rica. The Sports and Exercise Coordinator will champion healthy lifestyles, encouraging disenfranchised youth and adults to see the positive benefits of exercise on physical and mental health. Particularly with youth, Abriendo Mentes aims to use sports activities to instill behavioural values such as a sense of fair play, sportsmanship, teamwork and pride in achievement.
- Manage the administration and delivery of all physical education initiatives coordinated by Abriendo Mentes.
- Develop and deliver a sustainable program of activities to encourage women and girls to participate in physical activity.
- Work closely with the Communications Coordinator to schedule activities and advertise to the community.
- Coordinate sports and exercise volunteers to assist in the successful delivery of programming.
- Record activity plans and update Abriendo Mentes records.
- Track resource and program needs and notify the Site Director of requirements.
- Support the Community Development Coordinator in planning and delivery of weekly health and nutrition workshops (optional).
- Others activities as required and relevant to Sports and Exercise activities.
- Advanced Spanish skills
- Proven track record of sporting achievement.
- Experience and/or qualifications in a related field such as sports, fitness, nutrition, coaching.
- Experience working with school age children.
- Enthusiastic and passionate about fitness and the benefits of leading a healthy lifestyle.
- Able to commit for at least 3 months
- Experience delivering sports activities to ‘at risk’ youth
SKILLS AND KNOWLEDGE
- Flexible and adaptable
- Approachable and personable
- Upbeat and positive
- Living and working in rural Costa Rica
- Living and working with a community facing many economic and social challenges
- Working with another culture and language
- Flexible working hours to deliver programing at the times the community needs it.
Site Director of Potrero and Brasilito
Playa Potrero and Brasilito, Guanacaste, Costa Rica
We have an immediate opening for the Sports and Exercise Coordinator position. Candidates must be able to commit to at least 3 months. Preference will be given to those who can commit to 6 months or longer.
Fill out an application found on our website: http://abriendomentes.org/join/sportsandexercisecoordinator
*Please note, this is a volunteer opportunity. Abriendo Mentes is not able to provide a living stipend at this time.
- Language/Cultural Support Available
- International Volunteers
How To Apply
To apply, please fill out and submit the Sports and Exercise Coordinator application as found on the Abriendo Mentes website:
For more information contact: