Times of day
A few hours per week
Long-Term (6 months-1 year)
Time commitment: roughly 5-8 hours per week
Please note: This is a voluntary position
We are looking for someone with some accounting experience (preferable but not necessary) who is passionate about the importance of education in development to join our small non-profit team! This is a board member position.
You need to be collaborative and committed, you must speak fluent English, and you must be able to attend meetings in Amsterdam.
As we are still a small organisation, this is a unique opportunity for anyone who’s interested in gaining insight into the workings of a small-scale NGO (we are officially registered in Scotland), and gives you the chance to drive small-scale development projects where you can directly see the impact you are having in Honduras. We are a group of young, highly motivated individuals and we hope you’ll be interested in joining our team!
As the treasurer, you take the lead in all financial aspects of educate.. However, you are also part of the wider workings of the organisation! A passion for development and education, as well as dedication and drive, is therefore more important than experience with accounts.
We meet as a team on Thursday evenings from 6:30 – 8:30pm, and every 2 months we meet for a full day on a weekend.
educate. is a non-governmental, non-profit organisation that works to empower children and youth in Honduras through education. It was founded by two students, both now based in Amsterdam, who spent a year working in rural areas in Honduras with underprivileged children, and started educate. as a way to support projects on the ground to make sustainable, community-driven impact in the lives of Honduran youth. We are a rapidly growing organisation, where all members work on a 100% voluntary basis.
We believe that change must be led by Hondurans, so we aim to act as a catalyst, working in partnership with locally-based institutions and organisations and with a community-driven development approach.
Honduras is the second poorest country in Central America, with over 66% of the population living in poverty, and it has one of the highest homicide rates in the world. Economic inequality in Honduras is also the highest in all of Latin America.
Find out more at: www.educate.ngo.com
RESPONSIBILITIES OF THE TREASURER:
- Attend and take part in weekly meetings with the educate. board of directors. These meetings discuss our projects, fundraising events, and our goals and philosophy as an organization, as well as other matters. As part of the board, you have a role in the overall management of the organisation.
- Oversee all of educate.’s finances.
- Keep detailed accounts on a weekly basis of all income and expenditure.
- Go over accounts with the board at the end of every month to ensure that bank statements from all bank accounts align with the accounts and that all summary sheets are accurately filled in.
- Send money directly to educate.’s projects in Honduras on an as-needed basis.
- Keep a spreadsheet of all Gift Aid donations and ensure the Gift Aid money is claimed at the end of every month.
- Create the annual accounts and the annual financial return at the end of March each year.
- Work in a supporting role for other board members, such as helping out at fundraising events and other things happening in Amsterdam.
Training in all the above aspects will be provided throughout the first few weeks, and the rest of the board are always there for support.
- Training Provided
- International Volunteers
How To Apply
To apply, please send your CV and a letter of motivation to firstname.lastname@example.org the subject line “Treasurer Application”. We will invite successful applicants for an interview.
Feel free to get in touch if you have any questions or would like some more information before applying! We look forward to hearing from you.