California Safe Corps - Youth Coordinator AmeriCorps Member - Oakland & San Jose
- Volunteer Opportunity posted by AmeriCorps - American Red Cross
Full time (30+ hrs/wk)
Long-Term (6 months-1 year)
American Red Cross
The California Safe Corps program is an AmeriCorps service opportunity sponsored by the American Red Cross. Our program's mission is to make vulnerable communities more resilient, and to empower citizens to take necessary steps to be prepared for disasters.
We currently have openings at the Oakland and San Jose offices.
Our AmeriCorps members who serve as Youth Coordinators are responsible for managing and supporting youth programs and services in specific areas in the Northern California Coastal Region. The Youth Coordinators will develop and implement Red Cross youth programs in their assigned areas, maintain existing youth clubs and committees, and will provide training and direct supervision for youth projects including general youth meetings, Youth Executive-Board meetings, club visits, and preparedness events.
Minimum Eligibility Requirements:
- Must be available to serve full-time for the duration of the service term (September 2018 - July 2019)
- Applicants who currently reside outside of California should be prepared to relocate if selected for the position
- A U.S. Citizen, US National, or lawful permanent resident
- Able to pass a criminal background check
- At least 18 years of age
- Has obtained a High School Diploma or General Equivalency Diploma (GED)
- Holds a current/valid driver's license
Strongly Preferred Experience/Skill Sets:
- Willingness to serve outside of normal business hours, including some evenings and routine weekends.
- An exceptional communicator and problem-solver; you’re often praised for your organization and ability to get the job done.
- Team oriented and believe that a successful day is best reflected by accomplishing a collective goal.
- Passionate about sharing new ideas that will help to offer resiliency to vulnerable communities.
- Friendly, confident, and enjoy educating others through outreach and presentations.
- Action oriented; you have no problem checking off items from your to-do list and are ready to help others when they need it without being directed to do so.
- Flexible when needs change and can take a moment to laugh and enjoy the moment when good things are happening.
- Curious, creative, and open to sharing and learning from mistakes.
- Bilingual language skills are not required, but highly desired
- Recent college graduates, veterans and those looking for an opportunity to explore new career paths are encouraged to apply!
AmeriCorps Program Benefits:
- Invaluable experience from a nationally and internationally-respected organization for school, a future job or new career
- The opportunity to hone essential professional development skills including communication, project management, community organizing, interpersonal effectiveness and presentation delivery
- Extensive Red Cross and Emergency Management training
- $5,920 Federal Education Award that can be applied to qualified student loans and future tuition upon successful completion of the program
- Bi-weekly living stipend of $782.60
- Basic health insurance coverage
- Subsidized childcare (if applicable)
- Student loan forbearance (on qualifying loans) during the term of service
Visit our Facebook page to see our team in action: www.facebook.com/CASafeCorps/
NON-DISCRIMINATION PUBLIC NOTICE: This program’s recruitment is conducted without regard to race, color, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, age, gender, religion or political affiliation.
- Stipend Provided
- Training Provided