St. Andrew’s Refugee Services
Founded in 1979, St Andrew’s Refugee Services (StARS) is a refugee service provider in central Cairo that works to enhance the quality of life for refugees and vulnerable migrants through education, legal aid, and psychosocial services. We provide high-quality services meeting the unaddressed needs of refugees, and we provide a safe and inclusive space for displaced people to come together as a community. We work for refugees, with refugees, to make rights recognition a reality.
StARS’ Mission is to enhance the quality of life of refugees in Egypt and make their rights a reality through client-centered programs.
StARS’ Vision is a safe, inclusive, and supportive environment for refugees in which they can exercise their rights, pursue their aspirations, and live in dignity.
Project Description: Refugee Legal Aid Program
The Refugee Legal Aid Program (RLAP) provides advice and representation to refugees seeking recognition by UNHCR through refugee status determination procedures in Egypt, assists refugees in accessing resettlement to safe third countries, and advises refugees on protection matters. RLAP is seeking Volunteer Legal Advisors to assist vulnerable refugees in resettlement processes, and protection procedures.
RLAP relies on a team of volunteer legal advisors who conduct the majority of RLAP’s casework, who can commit to work at RLAP for a period of 6 months.
Under the supervision of the Resettlement Coordinator and Resettlement Senior Legal Officers, the Resettlement Volunteer Legal Advisors is responsible for the provision of legal advice to urban refugees in matters related to protection, and representation in resettlement.
This includes: the screening of refugee cases to identify those of heightened vulnerability fitting UNHCR’s resettlement criteria or needing protection interventions, and preparation of detailed written briefs addressing the refugee’s situation in Egypt in support of claims for resettlement. The Resettlement Volunteer Legal Advisors are part of a team of approximately 15 staff and volunteers.
All duties are carried out under the supervision of the Resettlement Coordinator and Resettlement Senior Legal Officers.
Legal and Technical
· To conduct the screening and intake of potential clients for representation in resettlement matters.
· To conduct the screening and intake of potential clients for advice and interventions in protection matters.
· To prepare resettlement referrals to the UNHCR Resettlement Unit.
· To maintain good working knowledge of UNHCR policies and procedures in resettlement and protection matters.
· To provide general legal counseling and assistance to refugees regarding their applications for registration, protection, and resettlement before UNHCR through RLAP’s on-call services.
· To maintain good working knowledge of the current political and social situations in the countries of origin of StARS’ clients.
· To assess extra-legal client needs and recommend referrals to other StARS teams or external organizations as appropriate.
· To undertake comprehensive case management practices including maintaining and updating electronic databases and records for each client, and keeping detailed notes of all casework activities.
· To adhere to the Nairobi Code of Ethics, the StARS Policies and Procedures Manual, and the StARS Code of Conduct.
· To attend and contribute to RLAP Resettlement Team meetings.
· To build and maintain relationships with StARS psychosocial and education staff.
· To work one to two four-hour shifts each week to counsel walk-in clients with concerns relating to protection or resettlement
· To attend two weeks of intensive training.
· To communicate regularly with the Resettlement Coordinator and Resettlement Senior Legal Officers, reporting on all major issues and developments in the field and within RLAP.
· To become familiar with RLAP’s database program and accurately record and follow up on all relevant case management
· To promote information-sharing within RLAP and StARS on all issues affecting the populations we serve.
Qualifications & Experience
The ideal candidate will be energetic, articulate, and comfortable interacting with diverse segments of society. She or he will have demonstrated a firm commitment to human rights and refugee issues.
· English being the official language of UNHCR Cairo and StARS, Resettlement Volunteer Legal Advisors must be fluent in oral and written English.
· Excellent writing skills.
· Well organized, self-motivated, and reliable.
· Commitment to and sensitivity toward vulnerable or displaced people.
· Ability to live and work in a fluid security environment.
· Ability to work in a team as well as individually.
· A positive attitude and sensitive manner in advocating for clients who are survivors of violence, trafficking, torture, and SGBV.
· Fluency or working knowledge of Arabic or a refugee language is an advantage.
· Knowledge of UNHCR guidelines and procedures.
· Knowledge of the general protection situation and vulnerabilities of refugees in Egypt.
· Knowledge of the general situation of the countries from which StARS’s clients originate.
· Life and work experience in the Middle East or Egypt.
Hours: 40-hour work week (Sunday – Thursday)
Supervised by: RLAP Resettlement Senior Legal Officers
St. Andrew’s Refugee Services
Founded in 1979, St Andrew’s Refugee Services (StARS) is a refugee service provider in central Cairo that works to enhance the quality of life for refugees and vulnerable migrants through education, legal aid, and…
Interested applicants should send a cover letter, CV, and brief legal writing or academic writing sample to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please write “Resettlement Volunteer Legal Advisor” in the subject line.
The cover letter should address your qualifications for the position and why you are interested in working with RLAP. It should also outline any time commitments you will have outside of our office during the six-month period (whether you are seeking to work part-time or full-time), and any other relevant information concerning your availability
Interested applicants should send a cover letter, CV, and brief legal writing or academic writing sample to email@example.com. Please write “Resettlement Volunteer…