Full time (30+ hrs/wk)
Short-Term (few weeks/months)
Calle Mayta Capac 1301
Rio Seco, El Porvenir
Holiday Club Activities Volunteer
Since 2003, SKIP has been working with disadvantaged families in an impoverished district of the city of Trujillo, Peru. Our holistic programme focuses on the educational, economic, emotional and social development of each child and family. It is our aim to foster the capacity of children and families to be the principal agents of change in their own lives.
Every year, during the 3 month school vacation, we run a 6 week activity prograamme for the children enrolled in SKIP. We provide educational and recreational activities for the children in both primary and secondary school (4-16 years).
Activities include art, sports, reading, math, English, environmental science, social skills, drama, music, writing and so on. To read more about our programmes, please see the website www.skipperu.org
Under supervision of the Primary, Secondary and/or English Coordinators, volunteers will plan and deliver activities. We are always open to new ideas, so if you have an idea about something you could teach, please let us know!
This is a demanding programme but hugely rewarding. Week days will be busy, but you will have time off on weekends. The beach is near by and summer is a great time to be in Trujillo.
There will be a week's break following the holiday club after which we will resume our standard programming - volunteers are more than welcome to stay on! The dates for prospective volunteers to bear in mind are as follows:
9th to 12th January - Training Week
15th January - Holiday Club Starts until 23rd February - Holiday Club Ends
As such, volunteers should aim to arrive in Trujillo on the 8th of January.
- Passion for working with children
- Minimum 1 month commitment.
- Intermediate or fluent Spanish
- Experience working with children
The benefits of volunteering with us:
In return for your invaluable participation in our volunteering programme, SKIP will provide:
- A thorough induction to the organisation, programmes, department and specific role
- Structured and relevant training from fully qualified and experienced staff members - you can read bios for all our permanent team on our website
- Mentoring and support in the form of regular supervision and staff meetings as well as informal sessions
- The chance to be a part of a diverse and dedicated team and a welcoming community
Watch our video
If you would like to know more about our project, check out our videos
Or you can read our annual reports
- Training Provided
- Housing Available
- Language/Cultural Support Available
- International Volunteers