Volunteer Guatemala Quetzaltenango Teaching Education Program
- Volunteer Opportunity posted by A Broader View Volunteers Corp
Full time (30+ hrs/wk)
Short-Term (few weeks/months)
Quetzaltenango, more commonly known as Xela, is a beautiful city surrounded by mountains, volcanoes and laced with cobblestone streets. With several universities in the city, there are lots of young people, lively markets and colorful Mayan culture all around. Located in the highlands of Guatemala, Xela is about 2 hours (120 miles) from Guatemala City, and about 1 hour from the tropical Pacific coast.
We offer the following programs in Xela, Guatemala:
Program Length: From 4 Week to 12 Weeks Program Date: Year round, flexible start & end date Work Schedule: Monday-Friday, 35-40 hr per week Accommodations: Home stay Meals: 3 per day Requirements: 18+ years, proficient Spanish, local buses to/from project
Considered a bit grittier than Antigua, and a bit less touristic, this is a good choice for a serious, Spanish speaking volunteer. There are lots of naturist options nearby hiking, mountain climbing, biking, as well as the coast nearby. The city is not too big, and not too small, perhaps just the perfect size to be 100% immersed but still see some other foreigners during your time there.
Teaching / Education: (Xela)
For children in western countries it is normal to attend school every day. Unfortunately in Guatemala the reality is different. Children often don't go to school, and their rights or education is no priority. At this project the children are given a chance with education, including personal coaching with life skills to improve their outlook in life. This program is open year round except in December/early January. Located in the town of Salcaja near Xela.
Activities / Requirements: You will help teach English, also teaching sports classes, creative lessons like painting, drawing, crafts and dance. Volunteers encouraged to interact with the kids with cooking lessons, singing, lessons on the environment and nature.
You will be provided guidance and a lesson plan to guide you and your lessons with the kids. We need volunteers with Basic Spanish knowledge, and willing to dedicate at least 2 weeks in the program (if not longer).
Xela Program Includes:
Program Length: From 4 week to 12 weeks Program Date: January thru November Work Schedule: Monday-Friday, 6-8 hrs per day Accommodations: Host Family Meals: 3 meals daily Requirements: 18 years Arrival Airport: Guatemala City (Code:GUA)
- Housing Available
- Language/Cultural Support Available
- International Volunteers
How To Apply
Click here --> Please watch our Reservation video
- Prompt customer service answering your call and emails.
- Pre-departure Orientation Guide. Includes detailed travel, safety & cultural information and many tips that will make your trip planning easier.
- Detailed Fundraising Guide that will help you raise the funds needed to travel, as well as provide donations to the project.
- Accommodations: Home stay, shared volunteer residence, guesthouses. Safe, clean, comfortable local housing, inspected by our local coordinators.
- Meals: Breakfast, lunch and dinner daily. Special meals at request.
- Airport meet and greet by our ABV project coordinator (At any time, any day!)
- First night hotel accommodation *some programs
- Guidance and support of a local project coordinator, 24/7 in case of emergency
- Orientation/city briefing on arrival by our Ω∫ABV project coordinator.
- Placement in a quality project, allowing you to maximize your time and efforts in a good cause.
- Transportation to project site only the first day with our ABV project coordinator. Includes introduction to local staff and community members with whom you will be working with.
- Volunteer Program: Half day (4 hours only) Spanish refresher Lesson. Part of volunteer orientation on arrival. (*Some countries)
- Departure transfer by our ABV project coordinator.
- A Feedback page on our ABV website with pictures of your trip.
- The Presidents Volunteer Service Award lapel pin (Bronze, Silver or Gold)
- Personalized Presidents Volunteer Service Award certificate of achievement.
- Letter of completion from A Broader View Volunteers Corp·· ··By request, A Letter of Recommendation provided by the local organization detailing the activities developed by the volunteer during his or her stay.
Fro more Questions and answers visit: https://www.abroaderview.org/faq
During the Program
You should be:
- PROACTIVE - Jump in and maintain a positive attitude.
- PATIENT - Life in your host country moves slower than one might be used to. Relax and enjoy the slow pace. Remember, not everything is as organized and predictable as life in the US or UK.
- FLEXIBLE - Plans change, roads get flooded, and electricity goes out. Realize that not everything goes as planned, but good intention is always there.
- CONSIDERATE – Respect those around you and be a reliable worker at the program site. Tell your host familyif you will be late. Advise the Project Coordinator if you are sick and can not work.
- RESPECTFUL - Remember that the local people you are working with, side by side, do so with little or no salary. They do this work because they believe in it. There are times when you may not agree with or understand the organizations decisions or direction. Although your suggestions are always welcome, your faith, respect and consideration for their long term work and commitment is appreciated.
- FRIENDLY - In order to truly help someone you must get to know them. Do not be afraid to make friends with the local people. Smile, wave and see how fast you are welcomed into the community.
- TOLERANT - The food, the culture, the smells and the sounds will be unfamiliar to you at first. We recommend that you dive in and experience life head-on. You will be surprised at how quickly you will adapt.
A Broader View Volunteers Corp
236 Glen Place Elkins Park, PA 19027
Toll Free: (866) 423 3258
215 780 1845 215 253 4512 (020) 812 397 81 (02) 800 368 07
A Broader View office is open 10am-4pm (ET) Monday to Friday.