Full time (30+ hrs/wk)
Long-Term (6 months-1 year)
Nansana Ngabo Stage Nansana Town Council, P O Box 36612 Kampala
Microfinance volunteers Uganda is offering volunteers from all over the world the opportunity to serve or work with Ugandan communities; as a part of the small microfinance institution Community Microfinance (CML) or by helping out with some of the many other projects that CML is involved in.
Volunteer opportunity on Kalangala islands as teacher at Mulabana primary school
Kalangala islands in Lake Victoria are the biggest collection of islands in Uganda with over 80 different islands. Here, fishing has always been and still remains the livelihood and education has been considered as less important. In addition, public services such as schools are not available in the same extent compared to the mainland. There are therefore many children in the island who are not in school.
Mulabana is a sub county of the main island; Kalangala, and Mulabana primary school is the most important school in the area. The school has only a few classes up to primary five and serves around 120 children.
There are few teachers on the island and the need of the volunteer services is high. However, the volunteer activities are not limited to teaching and we encourage also people with other background to apply.
Kalangala islands are very beautiful islands with nice beaches and good forests. The environment is relaxing and you will enjoy a truly unique volunteer experience.
Examples of volunteer activities:
- Teach English, Math and Science at the primary school
- Teaching extracurricular activities
- Develop the teaching skills of the other primary school teachers
- Design teaching aids for the school
- Sensitize the community about the need to educate their children
- Organize community outreach health programs since the island is lagging behind when it comes to health issues
- Design a webpage for the school
- Design a fund raising drive to build better school structures.
- Design student school profile, brochures and flyers.
- Assist in fundraising for a solar power system for the school
- Assist the institute with marketing strategy including social media
- Do a needs assessment for the community in general.
- Design income generating projects for the parents.
Who can be a volunteer?
This opportunity is open for teachers or teacher students. Especially retired teachers are welcome.
To become a volunteer, you need to be able to communicate in English, the official language in Uganda. It is also necessary for you to be able to adapt to a different culture and a sometimes much simpler life style than you are used to. This volunteer program will show you the real Uganda and that involves things such as slow or absent internet connection, power outbreaks, cold showers and things taking very much longer time than expected. On the other hand, you will get a memorable experience and new perspectives of life.
Terms and conditions
You can volunteer with us for any period from one week up to six months. All volunteer positions are unpaid and you are responsible for covering all costs associated with living in and travel to Uganda. MFV will help you arrange accommodation in either a host family or at a guest house and will also assist with visas and other practical aspects.
Most of MFV’s partners work on weekdays during normal business hours. However, we encourage you to travel while in Uganda and schedules are flexible.
- Training Provided
- Housing Available
- Language/Cultural Support Available
- International Volunteers