Part time (10-30 hrs/wk)
Short-Term (few weeks/months)
730 Concourse Village West
South Bronx United Education Volunteers work closely with SBU educational staff in coordinating and supervising the SBU After School Tutoring Program. The program provides homework help and academic enrichment activities for approximately 80 youth ages 10-15. Volunteers work 3-5 days a week from 3:30-6:30 pm and get hands on experience administering an educational program, counseling and tutoring youth, and developing educational resources. This opportunity is perfect for those looking to gain experience in the fields of education, school counseling, and social work.
Fall Term: September - early December
Spring Term: mid/late January - May
The Urban Assembly School for Careers in Sports, 2nd Floor, Mott Haven Campus
730 Concourse Village West,
Bronx, NY 10451
A minimum of 3 days a week from 3:30-6:30, Monday-Friday for at least one semester.
All volunteers will receive training from our Director of Education and Social Worker prior to working in the classroom.
While the position is unpaid, volunteers have the opportunity to work directly with veteran educators and a licensed master of social work in an educational setting. They will get hands on experience in developing learning resources, managing a classroom, and working with students who have the greatest educational and/or emotional needs. Volunteers will also have the opportunity to learn how to read and understand students Individualized Education Plans (IEPs)
Responsibilities in Detail:
Volunteers assist in three major program areas. Depending on the specific interests and skill set of the volunteer, the job can be focused on one or more of these areas:
* Provide tutoring to youth within the program with a focus on Special Education students
* Support staff with classroom management
* Help build the database of educational resources and develop lesson plans
* Support the Education Director in building a middle school curriculum
* Track student behavioral incidents and progress
* Organize and maintain classroom space, program records and academic resources
* Support staff in tracking academic progress at tutoring and school
* Assist with volunteer recruitment and management
* Help resolve conflicts between youth and manage behavior
* Work with you in setting behavioral goals
Enthusiastic and caring with a specific interest in social work, counseling, and youth empowerment. Should have a background in working with youth. Education, social work, psychology, sociology, or related majors are preferred. No soccer background necessary.
- Training Provided
- International Volunteers
How To Apply
If interested in the position, please email email@example.com with resume and cover letter expressing the reasons for your interest and your availability. Please put Education Volunteer in the subject line. For more information about the position, please visit the website provided.