Board Member for Manna Project International (community development in Latin America)
- Volunteer Opportunity posted by Manna Project International
A few hours per month
Long-Term (6 months-1 year)
Are you passionate about international development and social justice? Do you value individual growth and get energy from transforming the lives of others? Manna Project International (MPI), a nonprofit operating health, education, and economic empowerment programs in Nicaragua and Ecuador, is looking for passionate and motivated individuals to join our Board of Directors.
Since 2004, Manna Project International has fostered communities of talented young leaders to become the next generation of social change agents by engaging in collaborative, on-the-ground service with international communities in need. MPI’s talented staff and volunteers operate 33 programs impacting over 5,000 beneficiaries annually. We seek to empower and develop our short-term and long-term volunteers through active skills building and hands-on leadership opportunities over the course of their service. For more background on MPI, please visit our website: www.mannaproject.org.
MPI has continuously grown and evolved its impact over the past 14 years through creative partnerships, award-winning programs and initiatives, and increasingly diverse sources of funding. In 2018-2019, we hope to launch the next phase of our organization’s growth and trajectory.
MPI’s Board of Directors provides the strategic vision and oversight to ensure that MPI pursues its mission in an ambitious and responsible manner. The Board acts on behalf of current and past MPI staff and volunteers, the international communities MPI works with, and MPI’s funders, and has the legal and fiduciary responsibility and authority to establish and guide the values and perspectives of the organization to ensure MPI is achieving the goals set forth by its mission and vision.
For a complete description of the roles and expectations of MPI’s board members, click here.
- A passion for international development, social justice, and/or the preparation of future social change leaders
- A willingness to commit and contribute to MPI’s collaborative, community-based, holistic approach to community development
- A demonstrated ability to work cooperatively and effectively with others to set goals, resolve problems, and make decisions that enhance organizational effectiveness
- Vision and initiative to strengthen the organization and develop new and unique ways for organizational growth
- Experience owning and being accountable for a project which successfully achieved predefined results
- Time availability and commitment (8-10 hours/month of structured collaborative and unstructured independent work). This includes eight 90-minute board calls annually, board projects, and an in-person annual retreat
- Willingness to represent MPI at conferences, events and other social endeavors for networking, recruitment, and/or fundraising purposes.
- Commitment to an annual monetary fundraising requirement
- Commitment to a 2-year board term
- Previous experience as a board member is a plus
- Accounting or law background is a plus
- Experience in Ecuador or Nicaragua is a plus
Start Date: June 2018
How To Apply
Email firstname.lastname@example.org with your resume and cover letter sharing why you’re a good fit for the position.