Social Media Volunteer (Galapagos)
- Volunteer Opportunity posted by Intercultural Outreach Initiative (IOI)
Part time (10-30 hrs/wk)
Short-Term (few weeks/months)
As the IOI social media and graphic design volunteer, you will be in charge of generating footage (photo and film) as well as text that accurately and meaningfully captures the nature of IOI’s international presence and impact. This will include:
- Working across the organization to ensure that all components of the IOI model are captured and displayed.
- Collaborating with IOI team members in various departments to pull out and highlight the pieces of the work that most thoroughly demonstrate and illuminate its lasting, positive effects.
- Working with, based on experience, the Galapagos National Park to develop environmental education material that educates tourists, as well as the local population, about the surrounding habitats.
Schedules are based on a 25 hr/week commitment, and can voluntarily be extended to a regular 40hr/work week.
Typically Monday-Friday 8:30-11:30AM; and 2:00-4:00. May be subject to change depending on the tasks at hand
- Experience in Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter
- An understanding of camera equipment and Mac or PC
- Ability to work independently as well as in a team
- Be a great verbal and written communicator
- An understanding of social media platforms, blogging, Photoshop, and web-design.
Accommodation is provided by one of our carefully selected host families or in our volunteer housing. In both types of housing, volunteers have their own room, a fan, bed, desk, dresser, and bathroom, as well as warm water and drinking water. In our volunteer housing, breakfast is not included, but you have access to our fully equipped kitchen facilities to cover your needs. Lunch and dinner is provided at your choice of various restaurants in town, which are usually open-air seating with local cuisine. You simply sign for your meal and we’ll pick up the bill at the end of the month.
Our host families have experience with outside culture and international living and provide an amazing immersion experience. All host family houses are nearby the IOI offices and the local schools in the beach town of Puerto Villamil. Homes are fairly simple, clean, and welcoming. You will have breakfast and dinner with your family. Lunch is at the above mentioned restaurants.
We at IOI pair you with your host family, and we are available at any time to help if any issues arrive with the restaurants, your host family, the schools, if you get sick and need to visit the doctor, etc.
- Training Provided
- Housing Available
- Language/Cultural Support Available
- International Volunteers