Volunteering for women and children's projects in Uganda
- Volunteer Opportunity posted by The Empowerment Action Program
Part time (10-30 hrs/wk)
Short-Term (few weeks/months)
Volunteer opportunities for any one or groups who are willing to come and support their skills, time, commitments and talents to the vulnerable communities. These can include but not limited to medical teams, dental teams, soccer teams, music, teams, Research projects, and etc. Location, period and nature of projects will be discussed by the volunteers and TEAP accordingly.
We welcome short term and long term volunteers in the positions listed here below:
- Program management
To help with Office administration to give support to the Executive Director, keep records, write monthly newsletters, compile data on all programs activities, provide evaluation reports for case studies and giving guidance to Programs Officers.
2. Women Empowerment program:
- To help mobilize women groups, give or oversee the giving of micro revolving loans, training women in simple basic entrepreneur skills and visiting women in the community where needed.
- TEAP women groups meet once every week for 2-3 hours, during the meetings they learn various things including simple business skills, some groups have specific activities such as making crafts which they sell to other groups to raise money for development, each group raises small amounts of money during the meeting which is used to support a member in need or cater for emergencies. They also get small revolving business loans from the money raised and the borrower returns the money in 4-6 months. These groups are mainly composed of single mothers for those in the urban setting, other groups are of women living with HIV/AIDS and others are just a mix of community women ranging from 17-65 years of age.
3. Teaching children
Location: Mukono in central Uganda and Namayingo south eastern Uganda.:
- Because it is impossible to work with women and forget or just ignore children, TEAP has an initiative to reach out to children of single mothers in Mukono, and Namayingo is where we have an Orphange School. The children meet only on weekends, they met to play, share talents such as singing, dancing and reading, have a simple meal together and or just socialize because many of them do not have a chance to socialize with proper guided parenting. As their mothers are too busy to look for bread and provide for school need. These children sometimes loose meaning in life and they end up in similar problems that affected their mothers such as early pregnancies, boys dropping out of school and sometimes become bad elements in community because though they go to school they are only offered academics which is aimed at scoring grades but not behavior change focused.
- Training Provided
- Housing Available
- Language/Cultural Support Available
- International Volunteers
How To Apply
Contact us for an application forms and adtional information: email@example.com