Girls in the Game – Chicago - LVC Corps Member
- Volunteer Opportunity posted by Lutheran Volunteer Corps
Full time (30+ hrs/wk)
Long-Term (6 months-1 year)
Girls in the Game has two positions available through Lutheran Volunteer Corps; the positions are based in Chicago, IL, require a car and are currently available for Fall 2018.
Organization Mission: Girls in the Game provides and promotes sports and fitness opportunities, nutrition and health education, and leadership development to enhance the overall health and well-being of girls. Our year-round continuum of programs includes after school programs for elementary-, middle- and high-school girls, a five-week summer camp, one-day health fests, a year-round leadership development program and parent and caregiver healthy lifestyles trainings.
After School Coordinator Position Description: The Coordinator would work within our After School program coaching girls and building relationships with 4-5 program sites throughout Chicago. The program follows Girls in the Game’s proven and structured curriculum. The program operates at each site once a week, and each session includes fun sports, health and leadership activities. The program covers a wide variety of activities and topics, and emphasizes teamwork and good sportswomanship. The Coordinator establishes good relationships with site contacts, recruits girls for the program, leads programming three to four afternoons each week, supports other coaches at their sites, tracks enrollment and attendance, and overall ensures the program’s success. Over the summer, the Coordinator begins planning for the next school year, and also coaches in Girls in the Game’s Summer Camp, which includes four weeks of day camp and four days of overnight camp (sleeping accommodations are cabins).
Citywide Initiatives Coordinator Position Description: The Citywide Initiatives Coordinator will work in our Citywide Initiatives program with an emphasis on building relationships with new sites, community partners, and program participants. The Citywide Initiatives program includes a summer camp, clinics over spring and winter school breaks, and Game Days – one day clinics for groups of 20-100 girls.
All programming follows a set curriculum and each activity incorporates sports and fitness, health and leadership development. The Program Coordinator will be responsible for assisting the Citywide Initiatives Manager with curriculum development, program planning and logistics, record keeping and program delivery.
From September through June, the Coordinator will focus on clinics during school breaks, Game Days and planning for Summer Camp. Over the summer, the Coordinator will work in the Girls in the Game Summer Camp leading programming and helping to supervise campers. Summer Camp operates daily for five weeks in July and August with four weeks of day camp in Chicago and four days of overnight camp (sleeping accommodations are cabins). We understand that our LV may not be able to stay through the end of camp, although that would be ideal.
The position reports to the Citywide Initiatives Manager.
Qualifications (applies to both positions):
- Bachelor’s degree, preferably in health, youth or teen development, education or a related field
- At least two years of experience working with children and leading groups
- Athletic ability is not required, but applicants must be able to learn and demonstrate the basic skills of multiple sports and fitness activities
- Must be able to travel regularly to sites throughout Chicago
- Demonstrated knowledge of computer environments, e.g. Windows, Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook andPowerPoint
- Spanish language skills a plus
- All interested applicants are encouraged to apply regardless of gender
- Coaching/leading groups
- Youth/teen development
- Organization and attention to detail
- Representing the organization
- Problem solving and decision making
- Employment is contingent upon proof of eligibility to work
- Verification of degree/credentials
- Background check and fingerprint clearance
- Agreement to uphold all Girls in the Game Policies and Procedures (by signature)
- Ability to implement curriculum for groups of children; ability to encourage children to participate in activities; ability to use positive language to defuse conflicts as they arise during programming; ability to communicate effectively and professionally with adults including staff, parents/guardians, teachers and school administrators; ability to communicate effectively with diverse groups
- Reasoning Ability
- Ability to resolve problems as they arise during programming; ability to organize and analyze information with a high attention to detail; ability to work on multiple projects at once; ability to track detailed enrollment and attendance information; ability to learn to use the Salesforce.com database
- The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
This position requires:
- Frequently: sitting, walking, running, active play, seeing, hearing, speaking, standing,carrying
- Occasionally: stooping, lift up to 40 lbs, squatting, kneeling, bending, pushing/pulling
- Seldom: climbing, twisting
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
This is a fast paced environment and the noise level is usually moderate.
- Stipend Provided
- Training Provided
- Housing Available