Hero Care Network Casework Volunteer
- Volunteer Opportunity posted by American Red Cross Orange County
A few hours per month
600 Parkcenter Drive
Help provide client services to military members, veterans, and their families. Client services include: emergency communication, information and referrals, and family follow-up.
Since the foundation of Emergency Communications that support the United Stated Military was established by Clara Barton in 1881, the care for the men and women of our armed forces has always remained at the forefront of our priorities. The Hero Care Network has evolved to become the primary system to support Emergency Communications that provide us the ability to connect with our service members anytime and anywhere in the world.
As a Hero Care Casework Volunteer you could be involved in:
- Helping provide emergency services to military members, veterans and their families.
- Providing referrals for emergency requests.
- Monitoring and managing communication messages and family follow up.
- Non-Emergency communication follow up that could include: financial assistance requests, shelter referrals, medical referral locations, loan requests, and referrals for social service organizations that support military families and Veterans.
- Maintaining a working knowledge of local resources that aid military members, their families and veterans.
- Complete required national training and locally developed orientation
- Able to support Red Cross Service to the Armed Forces mission; have an awareness of and appreciation for military culture, military families, and veterans' issues
- Demonstrated ability to treat people with respect under all circumstances and instill trust in others while upholding the values and principles of the American Red Cross
- Ability to apply active listening skills and employ reasoning and questioning strategies to capture, analyze, and interpret information from clients, staff, and management
- Good computer skills to include use of Internet search tools; Intranet; and Microsoft Office Suite, to include Outlook, word-processing, database and/or spreadsheet applications
- Effective interviewing skills and a sound knowledge of telephone and in-person etiquette and pleasant and friendly manners respectful of human dignity
- Ability to work with or without supervision
- Effective verbal and written communication skills
- Good customer service skills; Ability to work well with others
- Willingness to gain knowledge of community resources
- Able to work with culturally diverse populations
- Training Provided