Volunteer Teaching, fundraising and social media: Mae Sot, Thai-Myanmar Border
- Volunteer Opportunity posted by Minmahaw School (formerly Minmahaw Education Foundation)
Part time (10-30 hrs/wk)
Short-Term (few weeks/months)
P.O. Box 91
We are Minmahaw School, a post-secondary school on the Thailand-Myanmar border, for Myanmar refugee and migrant young adults who come from a disadvantaged background but show a proven aptitude and high level of commitment to school and education.
We are looking for motivated, enthusiastic volunteer teachers to deliver classes in English as a vehicular language like Science, Social studies, Math and approved extra subjects for part or all of the 9 ½ month Academic Year Program, beginning in June and ending in March.
We strive to provide quality international-style teaching - contemporary, experiential education - to the students, about 40 in total, aged 17 to 23 years. Our broad based curriculum is taught in an English immersion environment, with class sizes of 12 - 15 for most subjects.
A teaching qualification is not necessary. We will supply all curriculum materials and plenty of support for you to undertake this assignment. You will teach for about 12 classes a week, including evening tutoring, with weekends free for local exploring. Upon successful completion of your teaching commitment at Minmahaw School we can provide references, should you require them. After your assignment is complete, you can visit the beaches, mountains, villages and cities of Southeast Asia before returning home.
All teachers and support staff of Minmahaw School work on a voluntary basis, however the school provides lunches, a bicycle (the most common mode of local transport for foreigners living in Mae Sot), and a great teaching environment. Also, we can help finding accommodation and show what things you can do around Mae Sot.
Volunteering opportunities at Minmahaw School are available all year round, and approved teachers are welcome for as long a period of time as they wish to contribute. A minimum commitment of 1 month is of most benefit to the students and school.
For more information, visit our school website at www.minmahawschool.org. If interested, email us your resume and a covering letter indicating your available dates, interests, relevant experiences, and contact information.
The teacher will deliver quality education to students at Minmahaw School in a subject or subjects including English, social studies, mathematics, science and vocational training. Teaching experience is desirable but not essential.
1. Teach a subject or subjects as directed by the Principal and within curriculum guidelines.
2. Contribute to the development of school curriculum.
3. Observe, evaluate and report on student’s work to determine progress and make suggestions for improvement.
4. Coordinate with the other teachers to promote integration of programs and delivery.
5. Support the school’s co-curricular and extra-curricular activities.
1. Commitment to working with and assisting highly motivated but disadvantaged Myanmar youth in an educational environment.
2. Willingness to undertake an appropriate teaching load as directed by the Principal.
3. Ability to work within a cross cultural school environment, interact effectively with people of different cultures and successfully develop effective partnerships and relationships.
Relevant qualification in a subject area, education and/or English as a Second Language.
Lunch provided during school week.
Most foreigners use only a bicycle for transportation in Mae Sot. The school will provide a bicycle for your use.
Upon selection, the school will provide you with guidance in meeting Thai visa requirements.
Rent: 1 BR apartments are available for approximately 5,000 baht/month (USD $162.00). Less expensive options are available if you choose to live with roommates in a shared house. Many accommodations include free WiFi.
Meals: A local Thai or Burmese meal can cost between 30-60 baht (USD $1-2). Western food is available and is more expensive.
Self-catering: There are several western-style supermarkets, and many local food markets in Mae Sot, where you can purchase food to cook at home, as well as other personal items.
- Language/Cultural Support Available
- International Volunteers