Times of day
A few hours per week
Long-Term (6 months-1 year)
1700 W. Pico Blvd.
Equitas Board Job Description and Performance Expectations
Responsible for ensuring that the academic program of Equitas Academy Charter School (Equitas) is successful, that the school's program and operation are faithful to the terms of its charter, and that the school is a viable organization.
1. Determine the mission and purpose of Equitas and keep it clearly in focus
Create and periodically review the mission statement which:
· Serves as a guide to organizational planning, board and staff decision-making, volunteer initiatives, and setting priorities among competing demands for scarce resources.
· Is used as the vehicle for assessing program activities to ensure that the organization is not drifting away from its original purposes.
· Understand and support the mission statement.
2. Select the CEO
· Reach consensus on the CEO’s job description.
· Undertake a careful search process to find the most qualified individual.
· Oversee and approve contract negotiation and renewal.
3. Support and review the performance of the CEO
· Provide frequent and constructive feedback.
· Assist when board members overstep prerogatives or misunderstand their roles.
· Compliment for exceptional accomplishments.
· Provide for an annual written performance review with a process agreed upon with the CEO well in advance.
4. Ensure effective organizational planning
· Approve an annual organizational plan that includes concrete, measurable goals consistent with the charter and accountability plan.
5. Ensure adequate resources
· Approve fundraising targets and goals.
· Assist in carrying out the development plan.
· Make an annual gift at a level that is personally meaningful.
6. Manage resources effectively
· Approve the annual budget.
· Monitor budget implementation through periodic financial reports.
· Approve accounting and personnel policies.
· Provide for an independent annual audit by a qualified CPA.
· Ensure the full board has the proper training to be effective stewards of public funding.
· Ensure adequate insurance is in force to cover students, staff, visitors, the board and the assets of the school.
7. Determine, monitor and strengthen the programs and services
· Assure programs and services are consistent with the mission and the charter.
· Approve measurable organizational outcomes.
· Approve annual, attainable board and management level goals.
· Monitor progress in achieving the outcomes and goals.
· Assess the quality of the program and services.
8. Enhance Equitas’s public standing
· Serve as ambassadors, advocates and community representatives of the organization.
· Ensure that no board member represents her/himself as speaking on behalf of the board unless specifically authorized to do so.
· Provide for a written annual report and public presentation that details Equitas’s mission, programs, financial condition, and progress made towards charter promises.
· Approve goals of an annual public relations program.
9. Ensure legal and ethical integrity and maintain accountability
· Establish policies to guide the organization's board members and staff.
· Develop and maintain adequate personnel policies and procedures (including grievance mechanisms).
· Adhere to the provisions of the organization's bylaws and articles of incorporation.
· Adhere to local, state and federal laws and regulations that apply to the organization.
· Ensure compliance with all federal state and local government regulations.
10. Recruit and orient new board members and assess board performance
· Define board membership needs in terms of skill, experience and diversity.
· Cultivate, check the credentials of, and recruit prospective nominees.
· Provide for new board member orientation.
· Conduct an annual evaluation of the full board and individual trustees.
How To Apply
Please email Lauren Renfort, firstname.lastname@example.org if you are interested in more information on becoming an Equitas Board Member.