Are you a communications professional who wants to make a difference? Interested in cutting-edge community development, neighborhood revitalization, and developing mission-driven communications strategies? If so, we have a year-long opportunity for you!
We have partnered with AmeriCorps VISTA (Volunteers in Service to America) to offer three one year opportunities for you to bring your passion and perseverance where you can have an impact. You will living and working alongside community members to advance local solutions.
What you’ll do
As a Communications Specialist VISTA you will assist in our effort to create visibility and enhance awareness of the extraordinary work we do. Each of the four positions will serve different but related programs and communities. One will be based in Newark focused on our Real Estate and Affordable Housing operation, Community Asset Preservation Corp. (CAPC). Another will be based in New Brunswick to work with NJCC’s Address Yourself® (AY), an affordable homeownership initiative that combines budgeting, pre-purchase, and credit counseling with access to low-cost mortgage products. The third opening is based in Trenton supporting our efforts in the East Trenton neighborhood and other targeted communities. The fourth opening is based in Dover assisting the Housing Partnership in expanding the number of clients the organization serves through its first time home buyer programs, affordable housing administration, and foreclosure services. Working with the Communications Manager & the three other VISTAs serving as Communication Specialists, you will:
• Facilitate an analysis of the accuracy and clarity of the NJCC and specific initiative brands -- along with the market awareness of our key programs.
• Based on your analysis, develop a comprehensive branding plan within our current and emerging markets.
• Assist in developing an intensive digital and social media strategy to reach our target audiences & market segments.
The collection and analysis of community level data has been integral to the continued and growing understanding of the housing, community, and economic markets and needs in New Jersey neighborhoods.
While you will work primarily for a specific NJCC program, you will also play a critical role in building NJCC’s overall marketing & communications infrastructure. The byproducts & impact of your work as a member of this invaluable VISTA team will live well beyond your time here with NJCC. The “return-on-investment” (ROI) of your work is enabling NJCC to significantly expand its brand as New Jersey’s largest CDFI and thought leader in community development.
The skills you'll need
We’re looking for people who are motivated and driven to develop their career. To be successful in this role, you’ll:
• Have a passion for community service and a strong customer service attitude.
• Be curious and independent.
• Have completed some college level coursework in Communications, Marketing, Journalism, Urban Policy or Planning, Economic Development, or related courses.
• Have demonstrated writing skills, ability to translate between English and Spanish is preferred
• Be experienced with social media platforms and website development.
• Have superb interpersonal communications skills and the ability to establish rapport with divers groups easily.
• Be able to demonstrate proficiency with Microsoft office and Adobe Creative Suite.
AmeriCorps VISTA provides a living allowance to cover the cost of food, housing, and other basic necessities during your service. Amounts are low because you are expected to live at approximately the same economic level as the people you are serving. The living allowance stipend for this position varies based on location but starts at an annual allowance of $14,136 paid bi-weekly. (Federal income tax deductions are withheld from the living allowance. No state, county, or city tax deductions are withheld. However, you are responsible for paying those taxes, as appropriate.) AmeriCorps provides options for health care benefits, child care benefits, and a relocation allowance. Additionally, each member is eligible for either an Education Award of $5,920 or an $1,800 cash stipend at the end of the full year of service.
Are you a communications professional who wants to make a difference? Interested in cutting-edge community development, neighborhood revitalization, and developing mission-driven communications strategies? If so, we have a year-long…