Passatge Madoz, 6
Location: Mannar, Northern Sri Lanka
Dates: June onwards (Flexible)
Duration: 5-12 weeks
Street Child is a charity dedicated to empowering some of the most vulnerable children in the world by giving them the chance to go to school and giving their families the sustainable means to keep them there.
We have identified that out of school children is one of Sri Lanka’s main development issues, particularly those in marginalised communities, despite having an overall literacy rate of over 90%. This placement is a unique opportunity to make a critical contribution to an organisation that is looking to pilot and expand its efforts within various communities in rural and urban Sri Lanka.
Join us to help children in remote areas of the Northern Sri Lankan province escape the low education-low income trap. Our fantastic local partner is working on the ground to deliver modern-methodological teaching that improves educational outcome. We need volunteers to assist them in raising teaching standards by increasing students’ exposure to ICT. We are not looking for IT experts, just positive and flexible individuals who are confident about their computer skills.
Working alongside the local team, your key responsibilities will include but are not limited to –
- Help with teaching computer skills to the children.
- Assist with sourcing appropriate teaching resources to support all activities.
- Assist with motivating and promoting self-learning attitudes among the children, including internet and other apps as a resource.
- Support with developing case studies and outcome reports.
- Assist with conducting regular monitoring visits (weekly/monthly/quarterly), develop/use appropriate monitoring tools to monitor outcome and output, maintain records, and actively engage with internal and external evaluation of education program.
- Good basic computer skills
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Independent and capable of proactive work plan management with minimal support
- Flexible, adaptable and able to thrive in a start-up environment
- Thoughtful, resourceful, reflective, and eager to learn
- Culturally responsive and respectful
- Keen interest in understanding and contributing to the development sector
The successful applicant must be prepared to live and work in austere conditions. The applicant must be able to manage his or her work plan and report regularly to the team on progress, and will be considered a valued member of the team.
A fundraising commitment will be required of the successful applicant, for which support will be provided by Street Child EU staff. Flights and food are at the applicant’s own expense. Accommodation will be provided by Street Child at a fixed cost, and will require sharing rooms with another volunteer of any gender. A detailed breakdown of costs and expenses will be provided for those applicants selected for interview.
- Housing Available
- International Volunteers
How To Apply
Please send your cover letter and CV to firstname.lastname@example.org outlining your experience, interest in the placement and availability.