Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) - Tax Time Savings Specialist
- Volunteer Opportunity posted by Connecticut Association for Human Services (CAHS)
Times of day
A few hours per week
Short-Term (few weeks/months)
Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) Tax Savings Specialists
RESPONSIBLE TO: VITA Volunteer Site Coordinator
To provide support to the Volunteer Tax Preparers at a VITA site by promoting options to clients to consider saving, financial education, and financial coaching.
1. Engage clients to create a pleasant context for discussing saving options.
2. Educate clients on the importance and benefits of saving.
3. Correct any misperceptions taxpayers may have about saving money or saving options, such as the potential impact on receiving public benefits.
4. Become an expert in utilizing IRS Form 8888 to split refunds among different accounts and other saving and credit options such as Save Your Refund, CHET, Credit Karma, etc.
5. Maintain confidentiality of customer information.
6. Inform clients about CAHS Financial Coaching program, which helps to promote healthy financial habits.
7. Assist Volunteer Tax Greeters and Preparers as needed.
Ø Available to consistently work 4 to 6 hours per week mid-January through April. Hours will coincide with the dates and times the tax site will operate.
Ø Ability to pass online VITA Volunteer Standard Code of Conduct and Intake/Interview Quality Review exams.
Ø Able to communicate a basic knowledge of CAHS programs and services to customers.
Ø Able to perform tasks completely and accurately, and ability to work independently and as part of a team.
Ø Able to interact with the public in a helpful and supportive manner and with a wide variety of clients.
Ø Friendly, dependable and flexible.
To get involved, simply call or email: Gloria Caesar – Program Director VITA/Asset Building,
860-951-2212 x230, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Training Provided