Volunteer Tax Preparer or Greeter
- Volunteer Opportunity posted by Worcester Free Tax Service Coalition
Times of day
A few hours per week
Short-Term (few weeks/months)
Worcester Free Tax Service Coalition is an IRS Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) program that provides working families in Massachusetts with free tax preparation services. As a coalition, we put millions of dollars back in the pockets of working families by eliminating the costs of tax preparation services, ensuring our clients get all the tax credits they are eligible for, and empowering families to move toward financial stability.
* This volunteer position runs January-April but volunteer tax preparers can attend training before December and must be certified by January. We expect all of our volunteers to volunteer at LEAST once a week for about 4 hours. This opportunity is great for anyone looking for experience in tax preparation or working with low and moderate income people. Flexible hours and days
Volunteer tax preparers are IRS certified to provide free tax preparation services to low and moderate income families in order to avoid costly tax preparation fees charged by private preparers
· In-person and online training available
· Volunteers must pass IRS Certification exams
· We are seeking individuals with strong communication skills, proficient computer skills, basic tax preparation knowledge, and have a desire to help the community. Volunteers must be available every week during tax season and be punctual
Greeters are the first friendly face clients see at our tax sites. They make the site run smoothly by guiding our clients through the process of their appointment
· Training will be provided for new greeters
· No experience necessary
· We are seeking individuals who are comfortable working with people and have strong communication skills (Bilingual, especially in Spanish or Vietnamese, a plus!)
· Weekends and Weekdays available
· Warm & friendly personalities welcome!
Last year, over 80 WFTSC volunteers
· Prepared the taxes of almost 2,000 working families/individuals
· Helped return $3,448,340 to people in Worcester, including $1,290,997 in Earned Income Tax Credits
Committed over 3,000 collective volunteer hours!
How To Apply
Please email Yasmine and email@example.com if you are interested in volunteering for either role.