Student Activity Program Coordinator at a Maasai school in rural Tanzania
- Volunteer Opportunity posted by Red Sweater Project
Mto wa Mbu
Mto wa Mbu
Red Sweater Project collaborates with developing communities in the creation of affordable, accessible and innovative educational opportunities for children in rural Tanzania. The organization operates the Mungere School near the town of Mto wa Mbu in the northern Arusha Region.
Red Sweater Project is accepting applications for a Student Activity Coordinator to manage the extra curricular activities for over 140 students at the Mungere School.
Mungere students live in a remote community, where English is rarely spoken and primary school is taught in the local language of Swahili. Yet, Tanzanian secondary school curriculum is in English medium and the language barrier can be a significant obstacle to learning both inside and outside the classroom.
TERM I: January 7 - June 7, 2019
TERM II: July 8 - December, 13, 2019
(With ability to combine terms to extend service)
- Organize and implement Mungere School’s Activity and Athletics Programs, including daily after-school athletics, academic and extra-curricular clubs
- Plan and oversee student academic, athletic field trips and other off-campus opportunities
- Provide general assistance to the School Director and teaching staff
- Assist with school administrative development and office assistance
- College degree in Education or related field
- Minimum 1 year working with youth, leadership; coaching experience licensure preferred
- Experience traveling, working and/or teaching abroad
- Passion for working with youth
- Organization and attention to detail
- Flexibility to work individually and as part of a diverse team
- Professionalism and excellent communication skills
- Interest in East Africa’s indigenous cultures and traditions
- Ability to live in a developing community
- Humility. We require individuals joining our growing organization combine leadership skills with humor, patience and a humble approach to service
- Minimum 3-month commitment
- Shared housing available
- Stipend available depending on experience
- Professional and cultural orientation program (language training available)
- We do not charge Program Fees; Volunteers are responsible for their own travel and living costs
Work, with a side of ADVENTURE.
As you experience life in a remote tribal community and explore Tanzania’s scenery and wildlife, it is difficult not to fall in love with the country and its people. Mungere Village is nestled in Africa’s Great Rift Valley, a short distance from Lake Manyara, Ngorongoro Crater, the Serengeti plains and other unique destinations. Travel further from the village to summit Mt. Kilimanjaro or relax on the beaches of Zanzibar Island.
Email current resumé/CV and cover letter detailing relevant experience to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Training Provided
- Housing Available
- Language/Cultural Support Available
- International Volunteers