A few hours per week
Long-Term (6 months-1 year)
355 Julia Davis Drive
Position Summary: Work with the public to raise funds for conservation and educate visitors about the zoo, its animals, and its conservation mission.
- Rotate through six areas as needed to engage and educate visitors. Areas include:
- Butterfly Exhibit: Monitor entrance and exit through this walk-through exhibit. Educate visitors on butterfly population and provide light exhibit maintenance
- Giraffe Feeding: Assist with daily Giraffe Feeding including educating visitors, collecting money, and managing the line. All funds raised are contributions to the Zoo Boise Conservation Fund.
- Sloth Bear Feeding: Assist with daily Sloth Bear Feeding including educating visitors, collecting money, and managing the line. All funds raised are contributions to the Zoo Boise Conservation Fund.
- Zoo Farm: Educate visitors while assisting with animal feeding and general upkeep of the station
- Biofact Education Stations: Engage zoo visitors with the use of animal artifacts, exhibits, and live animals, focusing on topics of animal biology, habitats, ecology, and conservation.
- Must be at least 18 years old
- Must commit to one 4-hour shift/week in either: March-October, March-August, or May-October
- Shift times are: 9:15am-1:15pm or 12:45pm-4:45pm, Monday-Sunday.
- Weekend volunteers have the option to volunteer every-other weekend
- Participate in an 8-hour orientation
- Pay a $40 volunteer fee
- Note: financial assistance is available, contact the Volunteer Services Office for more details
- Abide by all policies in the Volunteer Handbook
- Enjoy working with people of all ages
- Desire to further develop customer service, public speaking, and teaching skills (training provided)
- Interested in educating the public about wildlife conservation
- Must submit a negative TB test at own expense
- Must be willing to submit to a Federal background check if deemed necessary by Zoo Boise staff
- Commit to volunteering at one special event OR rental per year
Benefits (available after completion of 24-hour introductory period):
- Friends of Zoo Boise Annual Pass –Unlimited admission to Zoo Boise for extent of active volunteer service
- Reduced rates on Family and Grandparent passes
- Free or reduced admission to other participating zoos
- Subscription to Animal Tales newsless and a subscription to our bi-weekly e-newsletter
- Exclusive entrance to signature events such as: Easter EGGstravaganza, Zoo Daze, Spooktacular, and Boo at the Zoo
- Discounts on education programs and gift shop or food purchases
- Zoo Boise Day PassesVolunteers receive one pass for every 15 volunteer hours completed
- Pride in enhancing Zoo Boise, a community asset and wildlife conservation leader
How To Apply
Visit www.zooboise.org today to find out more and complete an application!