Volunteer Board Member for Impact--Change Behavior, Change the World
- Volunteer Opportunity posted by Appleseed
A few hours per week
Long-Term (6 months-1 year)
Appleseed has a clear mission & vision, a proven approach, and a talented team: nearly all critical pieces in place for making tremendous impact on the world’s most pressing issues, like child malnutrition, malaria, diarrhea, and more. Strong board governance would propel Appleseed to sustain and grow to become a game changer in the developing world.
Board members further Appleseed’s mission by helping to answer three fundamental questions:
- The Strategic Question: Where should Appleseed be headed and what should it become over the long run? (values, vision, targets, strategies for diversification and growth)
- The Operational Question: What should Appleseed be now and in the short term? (mission, current programs, org structure, annual operational plan and budget, policies, Executive Director and his leadership priorities and targets)
- The Accountability Question: How well is Appleseed doing? (programmatically and operationally, financially, administratively, and in terms of public perceptions and relationships with the wider world?)
- Previous experience serving on a high-impact governing board
- At least 10 years of professional experience
- A passion for improving the lives of the very poor through behavior change--listening to what the audience has to say and then creating programs that inspire them to act.
- Ability to commit to this volunteer position for a two-year term.
- Expertise in at least one of the following areas is a plus -- finance, management, global development, human resources, law, public relations, or launching a startup.
- Provide oversight on Appleseed’s progress toward its mission by tracking the organization’s goals and objectives.
- Cultivate relationships, convene, facilitate, and build consensus among diverse individuals.
- Help to shape and contribute toward the organization’s fundraising goals.
- Actively participate in board member recruitment.
- Attend a board meeting (via teleconference) at least once every 6 weeks.
- Provide expertise in key business functions on an as-needed basis.
- International Volunteers