Part time (10-30 hrs/wk)
Long-Term (6 months-1 year)
District of Columbia
The Yemen Peace Project seeks a Development Officer, who, working with the Executive Director, will help manage the organization’s fundraising efforts and help to craft a new development strategy. Candidates should have a solid understanding of the principles of development and fundraising, and preferably some professional experience in the field.
This is a newly-created position; as such, it is an ideal opportunity for a candidate who wants to leave her or his mark and play a vital, hands-on role in the growth of a young organization. The Development Officer will work very closely with the Executive Director and members of the Board of Directors, but must also be able to work independently. The Development Officer will be instrumental in forming the YPP's near- and medium-term development strategy, and (if we successfully implement that strategy) will have opportunities for career advancement within the organization.
The Yemen Peace Project is the only nonprofit organization in the US that focuses solely on Yemen and the US-Yemen relationship. Since 2010 we have worked to transform that relationship for the better, by fostering understanding between Americans and Yemenis, supporting the work of Yemeni activists and experts, and advocating for peaceful, constructive US policies toward Yemen and respect for the rights of Yemeni-Americans.
This is an excellent opportunity to take a leading role in building a young nonprofit from the ground up. Due to budgetary limitations, this will initially be a part-time, unpaid position. We hope secure enough funding to make this a paid part-time position. If you’re a retired or semi-retired development professional, a freelance expert looking for a part-time passion project, or a junior professional looking for a unique opportunity to gain senior-level experience, this could be the perfect position for you. Current students studying nonprofit management or development are welcome to apply, as well.
- Assist the Executive Director in creating an organizational development strategy;
- Cultivate new and existing individual and corporate donors;
- Develop and maintain ongoing relationships with major donors;
- Help develop a sustained base of annual individual donors;
- Assist with planning of special events;
- Identify and pursue grant opportunities;
- Manage database of donors and prospects;
- Coordinate fundraising efforts with members of Board of Directors.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent;
- Two years of experience in nonprofit development, or enrollment in/completion of a relevant course of study;
- Demonstrated excellence in organizational and communication skills;
- Ability to work remotely with minimal supervision;
- Experience with Quickbooks or similar software.
The YPP's headquarters are in Pittsburgh, PA; our advocacy office is in Washington, DC. Remote applicants are welcome for this position.
Yemenis and Yemeni Americans, women, people of color, LGBTQIA individuals, and individuals with disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply.