B.R.I.D.G.E.S. (Bringing Refugees and Immigrants Diverse Guided English Services) Volunteer
- Volunteer Opportunity posted by The Neighborhood Centers of Johnson County
Times of day
A few hours per week
Long-Term (6 months-1 year)
2651 Roberts Road
POSITION TITLE: B.R.I.D.G.E.S. Volunteer
PROGRAM DESCRIPTION: B.R.I.D.G.E.S. (Bringing Refugees and Immigrants Diverse Guided English Services) is a program that operates weekly at each of our sites (Mondays at Broadway and Tuesdays at Pheasant Ridge). Through this program, we offer participating families a weekly family meal, followed by a choice between English classes or Parent Education classes on a variety of topics. During class time, limited child care is available to families with young children.
PURPOSE: Volunteers in the B.R.I.D.G.E.S. Program can fulfill multiple roles in the execution of the program. Examples of activities that may be requested include meal preparation, service, and clean up; individual tutoring with English language learners; homework help with school-aged children; and reading/guided play time with preschool-aged children.
TIME COMMITMENT: Minimum one day per week (Mondays and/or Tuesdays) for 2.5 hours (5:00-7:30), October through mid-December and mid-January through May.
LOCATION(S): B.R.I.D.G.E.S. volunteers will meet Family Support Workers at the Center unless otherwise directed. Both sites are located on an Iowa City Public Transit line. Parking lot space is limited, so volunteers that drive would be requested to park on the street.
· Must be able to commit to the timeframe of the B.R.I.D.G.E.S. Program
· Must possess good interpersonal skills
· Must be able to pass child abuse and criminal background checks
· Past involvement working with English language-learning populations is preferred
· Dual language abilities (especially in French, Swahili, Spanish, and/or Arabic) are strongly preferred
● Follow applicable NCJC and ICCSD policy in regards to client interactions, behavioral supports, reporting suspected child abuse, and limiting exposures to blood-borne pathogens.
● Be present at least weekly, at regularly-scheduled times, to help with the following:
o Assist to prepare, serve, and clean up after Family Meal Times
o Guide English language learners in 1:1 tutoring sessions as needed
o Assist school-aged children in homework completion as needed
o Enjoy time reading and engaging in guided activities with preschool-aged children as needed.
How To Apply
Download application here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B5yKEZePtI9OUGlQMzFNUGFVZHM/view?usp=sharing
Email filled out application: email@example.com