A few hours per month
Long-Term (6 months-1 year)
District of Columbia
Volunteer Amharic Interpreter
DC Greens uses the power of partnerships to support food education, food access, and food policy in the nation’s capital. We’re working toward a city where food education is on the menu in every classroom; where doctors write prescriptions for fresh fruits and vegetables as a matter of course; where urban agriculture is a valued element of our cityscape; and where zipcode doesn’t determine life expectancy.
Position Summary: DC Greens is assembling a team of volunteer Amharic language interpreters to help distribute Produce Plus checks and support customers as they shop at farmers’ markets. Produce Plus is a farmers' market nutrition incentive program through which DC residents who receive SNAP, Medicaid, Medicare QMB, WIC, TANF, SSI Disability, and Senior Grocery Plus are eligible to receive up to $20 per week to spend on fresh fruit and vegetables at DC farmers' markets. Volunteer Interpreters will work at various farmers’ markets locations throughout the District supporting customers, market staff and other volunteers.
Time Commitment: Produce Plus begins June 1st and runs through September. Volunteers can pick the markets, duration and frequency of shifts that work best for their schedules. We ask volunteer interpreters to commit to at least two market shifts per month.
Specific markets in need of support are the following:
- 14&U Farmers' Market (8:30AM - 12PM)
- 14&Kennedy Farmers' Market (8:30AM - 12PM)
- Petworth Farmers' Market (8:30AM - 12PM)
- Provides interpretation between Amharic and English for customers, farmers’ market staff and volunteers
- Renders correct concepts and meanings between Amharic and English following complexity, clarity and style from one language into another
- Provides strict renditions of the messages including conversation details
- Utilizes great customer service and communication skills and remains calm during conversations
- Conversational fluency or near fluency in Amharic and English including advanced skills in the cultural implications and idiomatic expressions
- Ability to remain neutral and objective during conversations
- Ability follow program instructions closely
- Must be comfortable working at a wide variety of farmers’ market environments and locations
- Ability to communicate respectfully with diverse groups is required
- Opportunity to utilize specialized language skills in a diverse setting
- Gain volunteer experience for related work and education purposes
- Training Provided
- Language/Cultural Support Available