Director of Communications
- Volunteer Opportunity posted by National Alliance for the Advancement of Haitian Professionals (NAAHP)
Part time (10-30 hrs/wk)
P.O. Box 5096
National Alliance for the Advancement of Haitian Professionals (NAAHP)
This is a Virtual Volunteer Opportunity
Position Title: Director of Communications
Reports to: Executive Vice President
Open Position/s: 1
The National Alliance for the Advancement of Haitian Professionals (NAAHP) is seeking a qualified person for the position of Director of Communications (DOC). The successful applicant is experienced and a self starter who will be responsible for professional media relations, public information activities, and internal communications. DOC will report to Executive Vice President.
- Reviews all marketing materials to ensure accuracy, compliance with NAAHP policies and appropriate tone, style, spelling, punctuation, grammar and overall alignment with project request and business needs.
- Collaborates with graphics and advertising teams to ensure appropriate copy/graphic alignment and that marketing materials are on strategy, effective and consistent with branding.
- Serves as trusted adviser to executive leadership by providing ongoing internal communications counsel and support, including messaging, announcements, speech writing and presentation materials that communicate value proposition
- Coordinates annual update of materials to ensure accuracy and timeliness.
- Leads the communications team to provide clarity of roles and responsibilities as well as professional development opportunities.
- Researching and responding to inquiries from the media
- Manages and executes all internal and external communication.
- Advises the Executive Management Team on media strategy.
- Advises Executive Team members on sensitive matters that require public disclosure and discussion.
- Attends all Executive meetings to remain current on issues and decisions.
- Oversees budgeting for the Communications Department.
- Manages and develops procedures and plans related to public information initiatives.
- Identifies opportunities to respond or advance organizational messages
- Maintains organizational communications calendar
- Generates well written web content on a regular basis
- Leads and supports the implementation of new communications initiatives
- Performs additional tasks as assigned to support the effective operation of the organization
- Four (4) years previous experience in Public Relations, Journalism, and/or marketing, preferably with Non-profit organizations
- Two (2) years in a management or leadership role
- Experience in developing, implementing and evaluating communication plans and materials
- Must demonstrate strength in meeting deadlines and working in a consulting capacity with all levels of management
- Strong writing and proofreading skills
- Creative thinking and problem solving skills
- Highly organized with ability to meet deadlines
- Ability to work effectively with multiple individuals and manage several projects at once
- Comfortable with working in a virtual environment
- Ability to write and edit clear, engaging, and grammatically correct content
- Must be comfortable working within a startup environment subject to ambiguity and change