Times of day
A few hours per week
One Guest Street
Sunday, November 5, is High School Quiz Show’s Super Sunday, and we need you!
Nearly 500 students representing 120+ public and private schools from across Massachusetts will fill WGBH on that day to take a qualifying quiz. The incentive? The top-scoring teams will compete in Season 9 of High School Quiz Show.
We’re looking for 80 volunteers to help moderate and score the quiz, as well as to get teams to their testing rooms. Teams will arrive in 4 staggered shifts throughout the day and each team takes an oral quiz.
Volunteers are asked to make a full-day commitment, from 8am-5pm (lunch will be provided). **Please note, all Super Sunday volunteers will receive training on Sunday, November 5 from 8-9am before schools start to arrive.
Please review the Super Sunday volunteer position descriptions listed below and email me at firstname.lastname@example.org if you'd like to help. Please make sure to include the following information in your email response:
- Your full name
- Preferred position
- Prior education and/or test giving experience (for Moderator position)
Moderator (must be 25+ years)
· Enforces all rules in a fair and judicious manner
· Reads all questions and determines if the given answer is correct or incorrect
· Spells difficult or foreign words
· Keeps informal time count for responses
· Ensures materials and results remain confidential
· Position requirements: Moderators must have a clear voice and strong command of the English language. Prior education experience is also a plus.
Scorekeeper (must be 20+ years)
· Notes correct and incorrect answers on a score sheet while quiz is being administered
· Ensures score is consistent with the team coach’s score sheet after each section of the quiz is completed
· Adds up categories to determine the official score of the quiz
· Secures the signature of the coach on scorecard
· Position requirements: Scorekeeper must be competent in math, organized and accurate.
Check out Volunteer (must be 25+ years of age)
· Assist with checking schools out after the quiz is finished
· Calmly and diplomatically record any disputes about questions or scores, from team coach
· Ability to stay calm, focused, friendly and keep accurate notes about the nature of the dispute
· Checkout sheet and advance copy of the quiz content will be provided
· Position requirements: Check out volunteers must have a clear voice and strong command of the English language. Prior education/test giving experience is also a plus.
· Greets teams and coaches as they arrive to ‘GBH
· Checks schools off a printed registration list
· Answers general questions about the day’s events
· Distributes gift bags (one per team) as teams depart
· Position requirement: Registration volunteers must be friendly, organized and outgoing.
· Keeps guests out of the Yawkey Theater until its time for them to be matched up with Moderators and Scorekeepers
· Runs the elevator to testing room floors
· Checks testing rooms and signs on their floors; takes down signs at the end of the day
· Provides schools with directions to testing rooms, bathrooms, etc.
· Position requirements: Floaters must be friendly, outgoing and eager to provide assistance to guests.
How To Apply
If interested in volunteering during the Super Sunday event please email Jaime Reese, Volunteer & Marketing Manager of WGBH about the position.