A few hours per month
Short-Term (few weeks/months)
East 7th Street
Culture Push’s Fellowship for Utopian Practice is a testing ground for new ideas that aim to create
positive social change through civic engagement and horizontal learning opportunities. Through the
Fellowship for Utopian Practice, Culture Push serves artists by providing creative, analytical, and
logistical tools in the creation of truly transformative projects. The Fellowship program is open to artists
and other professionals working in any discipline who wish to expand the boundaries of their practice.
Applicants are encouraged to review our organization’s mission before submitting materials.
Applications for the Fall 2018 Fellowship for Utopian Practice are due September 22 by 11:59pm.
CRITERIA FOR PROPOSED PROJECTS
To be considered for the Fellowship, projects must:
• Be interactive and engage the public (entirely or in part), in accordance with our mission.
• Note: Our definition of “civic engagement” includes public talks, live interactive components,
skill-shares, participatory performances and similar activities that in some way address the public good
and have clearly defined goals for serving as a means of generating social change.
• Test a new and previously unrealized idea that expands the scope of the applicant’s current practice.
• Not be considered as an exhibition or the production of a ‘show,’ but rather a series of events and/or
actions aimed at engaging the public.
• Occur during the Fellowship year.
• Take place within the 5 boroughs of NYC (projects may have components outside of this geographic
region, but they will not be supported by Culture Push).
• If your proposed project is part of a larger piece or series, Culture Push funding may only be applied
toward the public engagement component of the project.
WHAT WE PROVIDE
• Honoraria for the project ($1000)
• Fiscal sponsorship for additional grant-based fundraising and individual contributions
• Strategic meetings with Culture Push staff, including development and production support
• Access to Materials for the Arts
• Networking meetings with Culture Push Board, Executive Director, Staff, Advisors, and other Fellows
• Marketing via the Culture Push network, email list, and social media contacts for promotion purposes
• Mentorships with experts in the field
• An opportunity to contribute to or edit our online journal, PUSH/PULL
• An opportunity to present your research and project development at the annual Culture Push
• An opportunity to exhibit your work at a public presentation produced by Culture Push alongside past
and current Fellows
• Culture Push does not provide a venue or exhibition space for projects, but we will work with Fellows
to help secure suitable site(s).
- Stipend Provided
- International Volunteers
How To Apply
Applicants must have at least 3 years of professional experience in their field. Currently enrolled
undergraduate students may not apply. Projects must be new, socially engaged work that have not
received any prior institutional support occur within the five boroughs of New York City. Group or
collaborative proposals are welcome.
Please send an email to email@example.com with the subject “Fellowship for Utopian Practice,”
letting us know how you heard about the Fellowship program, and attach the following materials in a
single PDF (5MB or less):
• Project Narrative that describes your proposed project, its goals and timeline, and the link between
your project and the Culture Push mission with as much detail as possible (500 words max).
• A one-page resume or CV detailing your artistic and/or professional experience. For collaborative
proposals, please provide resumes or CVs of each participating artist; Collectives should provide a
resume for the group’s activities.
• A sample of no more than 5 images of recent, relevant work and/or a link to online video or audio
content that is no more than 5 minutes long. If submitting an audio or video work sample longer than 5
minutes please provide a cue point.
• Contact information for one professional reference.