Times of day
A few hours per month
Long-Term (6 months-1 year)
57 Willoughby Street
Are you age 60 or better and passionate about combating myths & stereotypes related to aging? Are you interested in engaging young people in conversations about what exactly they think it means to get old? Heights and Hills is seeking volunteers aged 60 or better to become Aging 101 Ambassadors for our popular inter-generational program: Aging 101 & the Birthday Card Collective. Ambassadors will work as a team under the supervision of the Director of Volunteer Programs to help bring our interactive Aging 101 workshop to young people in the 19 Brooklyn communities we serve: https://www.heightsandhills.org.
- Work collaboratively with a small group of like-minded volunteers to facilitate our 40 minute Aging 101 workshop with school and community partners
- Travel to a variety of Brooklyn locations within Heights and Hills catchment area
- Liaison with a diverse group of community partners including public and private elementary schools, summer camps and after school programs, religious youth groups and other groups of young people
- Must be aged 60 or better
- Experience or demonstrated interest in engaging elementary-age youth in a classroom or group setting
- Enjoy working with young people and passionate about intergenerational programming
- Willing to learn about Heights and Hills mission and act as Ambassador for organizational mission, values and programs
- Must be courteous, personable and flexible when dealing with community partners and the public
- Sense of humor and patience
Time Commitment: Must be available to conduct 1 workshop a month from October 2018 to June 2019; Must be able to attend one orientation & training session in either June or September.