The Haiti Volunteer Adventure With HavServe Summer Camp and Educational Enrichment Program
- Volunteer Opportunity posted by HavServe Volunteer Service Network (HavServe)
Times of day
Part time (10-30 hrs/wk)
Short-Term (few weeks/months)
HavServe in Haiti
Rue Du Commerce
The Haiti Volunteer Adventure With HavServe Summer Camp and Educational Enrichment Program LEBRUN
VILLAGE, SOUTHWEST HAITI - The HavServe Volunteer Service Network (HavServe) will host its annual Summer Camp and Educational Enrichment Program in Lebrun, Haiti during the month of July. Haiti has continued to make strides towards meeting development goals set by local leaders and international delegates, but remains to be consistently plagued by a lack of resources. HavServe’s camp will provide 500 local children in rural Haiti nourishing meals, while simultaneously providing them with the tools needed to build a successful future.
The Annual Summer Camp and Educational Enrichment Program is one of the main programs offered by our organization. With the support from volunteers coming from across the world, the HavServe team will host and feed 500 local children in the village of Lebrun in southwest of Haiti. Our children participants will learn the basic soft and technical skills they need in order to thrive within the context of a rural environment. From learning how to recycle and care for the environment, to instruction on gardening, nutrition, technology and hygiene/personal care, the camp is designed to close international education gaps. The camp is designed to embrace the United Nation’s Sustainable Development Goals (SGDs) of achieving no poverty, zero hunger, good health and well-being, as well as quality education.
Our mission this summer in Haiti is to ensure that no child in the area we service ever goes to bed hungry. With our unwavering support network, throughout the past year we were able gather the funding and people-power to implement a variety of projects that advance our goals.
Building problems, insufficient number of qualified teachers, overcrowded classes, and shortage of educational materials negatively impact the quality of children’s education in rural Haiti. The projects support resource-poor kindergartens and elementary schools for children in rural communities in Haiti plagued by chronic poverty. In addition to problems in the local education system, many parents are illiterate and do not focus on their children’s education.
Volunteers work with teachers to help create more interactive and student-centered learning environments. They bring enthusiasm to class activities, and engage the children to help them learn and stay motivated. The volunteers also help broaden the children’s views about different people, culture and places. Volunteers live in the HavServe Volunteer home.
Summer Camp Trip Objectives:
- The purpose of this trip is to learn about HavServe’s mission and vision, what is happening with children in rural Haiti, and how you can be involved
- Travelers will participate in the annual summer camp, feeding, playing and helping children, while learning, understanding how HavServe works and why we do what we do
- Great opportunity for travelers to understand how their skills and abilities can fit into HavServe’s mission and future trips
Summer Camp Trip Qualifications:
- The energy to keep young children stimulated.
- The creativity and initiative to lead classes with limited resources.
- Teaching experience and/or certifications are not required.
- Ability to be extremely flexible in a diverse environment
- Ability to live and work in extremely rugged and harsh conditions without electricity, running water, or modern conveniences
- Ability to deal with complex emotional situations
- Cultural sensitivity to beliefs and practices different than your own
This description is intended only as a broad overview of the work. There is no typical day or script to follow. Remember, volunteers are serving in the developing world where conditions can change in an instant. Being flexible, open and able think on your feet are crucial characteristics of a good international volunteer. It is each volunteer’s role to fit into the educational camp and not the other way around. We expect volunteers to contribute wherever the need arises, even if it means being involved in activities they were not expecting to work in. Being able to adapt, adjust and fit in is challenging, but also what makes international volunteering so special.
Prior to arrival, volunteers must provide a background check and sign a waiver. Without it, volunteers will not be allowed on the project.
Register to join our team today! When you’re not busy volunteering, you can catch a glimpse of the amazing beauty of rural Haiti while making local friends and having fun by the beach!
- Training Provided
- Housing Available
- Language/Cultural Support Available
- International Volunteers
How To Apply
- Read Volunteer Opportunity description carefully.
- Verify you are ready to join for 1 week, 2 weeks or 3 weeks.
- Apply online using our application form. It's easy to fill out and you can submit it online.
- Follow-up with your trip coordinator
- Submit forms and pay fees
- Your placement is only confirmed once we receive your Liability Waiver, Code of Conduct and fees. Once we receive these items, we will:
- Email you a confirmation Letter to let you know we have received your documents and fees, and confirmed your volunteer placement.
- Email you the preparation materials and the opportunity to meet on the phone or on Skype for a one-one-briefing meeting.