Office Assistant Volunteer
- Volunteer Opportunity posted by Food Bank for the Heartland (AmeriCorps VISTA)
A few hours per week
Long-Term (6 months-1 year)
Food Bank for the Heartland
10525 J Street
<img src="//:0" height="62" width="261">
Volunteer Position Description
Title: Office Assistant
Brief Description of Organization
SNAP is the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program, formerly known as the food stamp program. SNAP Outreach is a cooperative effort through Food Bank for the Heartland and the Food Bank of Lincoln. Our program helps eligible citizens across Nebraska who meet the stringent requirements apply for this valuable nutrition assistance, through our SNAP Hotline and in-person outreach. In fiscal year 2017, our outreach specialists helped more than 7,500 Nebraska households receive benefits. SNAP provides $241 million back to Nebraska’s economy.
We strive to reach every person in Nebraska that qualifies for food assistance. In order for this to happen, we need an office that stays organized and on track. By performing some of the office work that takes up much of our staff’s time and helping to keep our records accurate and updated, the Office Assistant will be a very important gear that keeps our program running.
The Office Assistant will be helping our team focus on applying more community members for SNAP benefits, thus improving the health of families and the economy of Nebraska.
The Office Assistance will have the opportunity to help with a variety of tasks, including:
- Application Checks: Checking that our data is put into our computer systems correctly and making note of any errors
- Pending Application Calls: Calling clients we have assisted to check the status of their application.
- Miscellaneous Office Work: Odd jobs may include putting together postcards and mailers for delivery
Measures: We will measure the success of this position by how well the volunteer is able to find the most efficient and accurate ways to do the work, and by how many calls they make or applications they check.
- Criminal History Check
- Proficient in MS Office, especially Excel
- Excellent phone etiquette
- Detail oriented
- Positive go-getter attitude
- Ability to discuss sensitive topics
- Bilingual (Spanish) is a plus
Time Frame: Minimum requirement is 2 hours or more per week for at least 3 months.
Site: Food Bank for the Heartland at 10525 J Street Omaha, NE 68127
Supervision: This position will be supervised by our Volunteer Capacity Building VISTA. The volunteer will also sometimes work with our program managers.
Benefits Gained by Volunteer
- In depth training and orientation on the Federal SNAP program and Nebraska guidelines
- Technical and administrative experience for your resume
- Professional reference from a well-known and reputable non-profit, if you meet the minimum time commitment
- Pride in bringing valuable assistance to our food insecure populations
Contact Info and Next Steps
If you are interested contact Asefa Zebene at firstname.lastname@example.org or leave a message at 402-770-9766, (855) 444-5556 ext 4834 or go to foodbankheartland.org and apply to be a Nebraska SNAP Volunteer under Get Food/SNAP.
- Training Provided