Mobile Food Pantry Volunteer (Sea Mar Seattle Medical Clinic)
- Volunteer Opportunity posted by Sea Mar Community Health Centers (Volunteer Program)
Times of day
A few hours per month
Short-Term (few weeks/months)
Sea Mar Seattle Medical Clinic
8720 14th Avenue South
Through a partnership with Food LifeLine and Sea Mar Community Health Centers, members of the community have an exciting chance of contributing towards and learning more about Sea Mar's nutrition and health education programs! The Mobile Food Pantry volunteer will be a part of a team of Sea Mar employees and volunteers to help ensure the mobile food drives are a success, members of the community have access to healthy food, and to ensure the community is aware of these drives as a resource. Any individuals wishing to contribute towards this opportunity will be provided with direct experience working with other members of the community and hopefully will leave with a much broader perspective of how food accessibility contributes towards the health and betterment of communities across the Seattle area.
The volunteer supporting this program may possibly perform the following:
- Set up and organize food delivered at Sea Mar's Burien and Seattle medical clinics by Food LifeLine on the day of the food drive.
- Set up tents and tables for the food drives.
- Communicate and support patients and other members of the community by filling their bags with food provided by Food LifeLine.
- Assist those who need help carrying bags to their vehicles.
- Break down tents and tables and clean up the site of which the food drive took place.
- Organize surplus food to be stored for following food drives at Sea Mar clinics.
- Work with and connect with other members of the community and Sea Mar Community Health Centers.
IMPACT OF POSITION
This opportunity directly impacts food insecurity by distributing fresh produce to patients and members of the community with limited access to fresh vegetables and fruit.
BENEFITS OF VOLUNTEERING
Volunteers supporting this program will gain hands on experience in public health, work experience in a team setting, and direct service experience working with the public. Volunteers will also have the opportunity to connect and build substantial relationships with members of the community and with Sea Mar Community Health Centers.
LOCATION and SCHEDULING
The Mobile Food Pantry Volunteer opportunity is currently offered at Sea Mar's Seattle Medical Clinic (8720 14th Avenue S, Seattle, WA 98108) every fourth Friday of the month and Sea Mar's Burien Medical Clinic (14434 Ambaum Blvd. SW, Burien, WA 98166) every second Thursday and Fourth Saturday of the month. Volunteers will be expected to contribute around four hours of their time per drive.
- Language/Cultural Support Available
- International Volunteers