AmeriCorps VISTA position for Program Activities at SAVE
- Volunteer Opportunity posted by Flint Hills Volunteer Center
Full time (30+ hrs/wk)
Long-Term (6 months-1 year)
AmeriCorps VISTA members make a full-time, one-year commitment to alleviate poverty in a particular community. Their role in alleviating poverty is to mobilize community resources, increase the capacity of the low-income community to achieve its goals, and ensure that the activities initiated or expanded as an AmeriCorps VISTA member are sustained by the community.
Program: The SAVE Farm is a teaching farm and healing center for transitioning service members and veterans whose mission is to:
- Provide accredited education and skills in a teaching farm environment
- Facilitate healing for those in need, helping service members regain life fulfilling purpose
- Assist in post-training placement on working farms.
Title: Program Activities VISTA
Position Summary: This VISTA will help transitioning service members and veterans learn agricultural vocations. Major functions include coordinating activities for service members and veterans to include academic programs, hands-on-farming learning, and clinical appointments.
- Assess the current state of services utilized by SAVE to improve its effectiveness for program participants.
- Develop and implement practices for service members activity management in the program semi-annually.
- Provide outreach services to current service members and veterans participating in the SAVE program to ensure programming available meets the needs of all participants.
- Be at least 18 years old with a high school diploma or GED.
- Be a US citizen or a permanent resident alien.
- Complete successful criminal history background check.
- Communicate well with people from a variety of backgrounds, including service members
- Own a reliable vehicle and valid driver’s license
- Applicant should hold a four-year degree in human services or similar, or four years of relevant work experience, or a combination thereof.
- Independent worker
- Possess strong writing and organizational skills
- Experience with MS Office Suite, information management systems, and community partnerships.
- Stipend Provided
- Training Provided