Volunteer in a Christian Orphanage Home, Ghana Africa
- Volunteer Opportunity posted by Volunteer abroad Africa - Teach math, science, English, French, preschool in Ghana
Times of day
Part time (10-30 hrs/wk)
Short-Term (few weeks/months)
Greater Accra Region
The Bawjiasi Orphanage home was started by a local pastor who saw the urgent need to be a Good Samaritan in his community and provide help to the vulnerable orphaned and abandoned children.
This Home which is under the supervision of Ghana's Social Welfare Department has help to educate nurture the physical and educational needs of many vulnerable children in the Bawjiasi; some of whom are now in tertiary institutions pursuing various career training.
As a volunteer orphanage worker/assistant, your duties would involve any one or more of the following:
- Supervising the children in the morning as with regard to getting them ready for school
- Helping to prepare and serve breakfast for the orphans
- Helping in the Home's farm.
Accommodation and food (breakfast, lunch and dinner) will be provided by your host school. Meals are made up staples like rice, pasta, yam (like potato) vegetable stews and soups, fruits, bread, tea, coffee. Past volunteers have reported that our foods taste good! Ghanaians know how to cook tasty foods. Please note that we are able to cater to different kinds of tastes -- if you like spicy foods you don't have a problem :). On the other hand if you DON'T like spicy foods, we'll make sure the taste is right for you... rest assured!
ARE THERE ANY FEES TO PAY?
Yes. Applicants pay a Program fee to cover the following:
- Airport pickup
- Orientation for volunteer at start of program
- Food (3 meals daily)
- Accommodation (including utilities like water and electricity)
- Cultural Immersion activities
- Airport drop-off
- Training Provided
- Housing Available
- Language/Cultural Support Available
- International Volunteers