Make a REAL difference in Guatemala with Environmental Conservation Program
- Volunteer Opportunity posted by Love Volunteers
This program plays a critical role in a country where the precious natural resources are deteriorating. Due to the extreme poverty of the population in the Mayan highlands where this program is based, people have concentrated on simply surviving. The natural environment has suffered from unsustainable farming practices, climate change, alleged corruption and the exploitation of natural resources. This program aims to preserve the natural environment through a series of projects that raise awareness of the issues within local indigenous populations, teach sustainable farming methods, help to showcase the natural splendour by creating trails and eco-tourism initiatives to bring in new income streams and employment to the region and teach locals eco-friendly practices. Volunteers are essential to this project, proving an enthusiastic, knowledgeable and skilled workforce to pass their knowledge on to an impoverished population who need to protect their natural environment for a sustainable future.
Goals of this Project:
- Provide free environmental protection programs to locals in a region under threat
- Improve the long-term sustainability of impoverished indigenous communities
- Improve the future prospects by teaching sustainable practices and eco-friendly practices
- Help to create an eco-tourism market, thus promoting and protecting the area for future generations and creating an income stream to the impoverished area
- Housing Available
- Language/Cultural Support Available
- International Volunteers
How To Apply
Love Volunteers welcomes all those 18 years and over who wish to give their time and energy to help protect the natural environment of Guatemala. This 'hands-on' project is best suited to those who are either pursuing a career in conservation/environmental studies, or who simply wish to explore an interest in this field. However, the project is open to all and does not require participants to have specific education, qualifications or experience, as you will be shown everything you need to know by your local project leader. Importantly though, all applicants must first and foremost have a genuine willingness to help, show drive and initiative, and bring a positive 'can-do' attitude. If this sounds like you, we want you on the team!