Classroom Assistant at Safe Passage/Camino Seguro
- Volunteer Opportunity posted by Camino Seguro / Safe Passage
Full time (30+ hrs/wk)
Short-Term (few weeks/months)
6a Avenida 11-95 Colonia Landivar, Zona 7
Safe Passage, a 501(C)3 non-profit development-focused organization, is seeking volunteers to serve as Classrooms Assistants in our Preschool and in our Expeditionary Learning Elementary School. Known in Guatemala as Camino Seguro, Safe Passage's mission is to help children in the Guatemala City garbage dump community break the cycle of poverty through education, emphasizing life skills and perseverance in order to thrive in work and contribute to their community. Safe Passage is a secular, non-political organization.
Safe Passage serves approximately 550 children and their families with an integrated program that incorporates healthy living, strong academics, life skills, creativity, and fun. At Safe Passage, we believe every child should have the opportunity to receive an education. Our programs are designed so that each child gains the skills needed to obtain a stable job, to be self-sufficient and self-reliant, and to lead their families out of poverty in a dignified and permanent way.
Classroom Assistants are volunteers that work with students in any one of our classrooms for students, age 3 years-sixth grade. Classroom Assistants work with their assigned teachers each day, supporting the learning objectives of each subject area and providing motivation and indivdiual attention to students to support healthy self-esteem development. Volunteers are encouraged to bring their own strengths and interests into the classroom to create new, engaging educational activities. While not English Teachers, Classroom Assistants also provide opportunities for students of all ages to practice their English language skills.
- Passion for Safe Passage’s mission, commitment to service and ability to engage children, families, staff, and volunteers;
- Experience working/volunteering with at-risk, low-income student populations
- Patient, creative, positive attitude, outgoing, and pro-active;
- Minimum commitment of 5 consecutive weeks.
- Opportunity to work with experienced Guatemalan teachers, learning about an incredible population while gaining professional experience
- Opportunity to learn and practice Spanish
- Organizational culture of friendly, supportive relationships in a diverse environment
- Free lunch at the project
- 1 personal day/month of volunteer service
For more information about the organization, please see https://www.safepassage.org/take-action/volunteer/.
- Training Provided
- Language/Cultural Support Available
- International Volunteers
How To Apply
Interested candidates should follow the application instructions listed on https://www.safepassage.org/take-action/volunteer/; please contact email@example.com with any questions. Applications are accepted on a rolling basis; new orientation sessions for short-term volunteers are generally held on the first and third Mondays of each month. The last orientation for new volunteers for the 2018 program year will be held Monday, October 1, 2018. Safe Passage will offer the first orientation for new volunteers for the 2019 program year in mid-January 2019.