A few hours per month
Long-Term (6 months-1 year)
686 10th Street
Green Generations Inc. is seeking dedicated Board Member with professional experience and an entrepreneurial spirit to join our expanding team.
Since our pilot year in 2011, we've served nearly 1,000 children through partnerships with schools in under-served, high-risk neighborhoods in New York City. We currently operate in Brooklyn, the Bronx and Manhattan. Our goals include expanding our presence across the city to positively impact more children. To accomplish this, we are seeking enthusiastic individuals who are passionate about supporting self-esteem and mindfulness education to help us grow our nonprofit organization by joining our Board of Directors.
Mission: To empower children with self-esteem and mindfulness education.
Vision: For every child to love who they are, thrive in their communities, and contribute to a more just and compassionate world.
- Support the Board Chair and Executive Director in guiding the trajectory of the organization's growth to realize its mission in the most responsible and sustainable way possible.
- Ensure dedication to, and use of assets for, the benefit of the children, schools and communities we serve.
Skills and Character:
- Demonstrate the highest ethical standards and integrity in his or her personal and public conduct.
- Possess experience in mission, business, professional, or volunteer positions that will enable him or her to provide useful insights into matters addressed by the Board of Directors.
- Some experience serving on, or liaising with, a Board of Directors is preferred.
- Professional experience (3-5+ years) with specific experience in two or more of the following:
- Fundraising and development.
- Law, management, business strategy or other relevant areas of expertise.
- Supporting children or communities in under-served, high-risk communities.
- Working as part of a team in an entrepreneurial environment.
- Commitment to the core values of Green Generations:
- Everyone is seen in his or her full potential.
- Everyone has the right to be happy, healthy, and fulfilled.
- Everyone is respected in his or her sameness and uniqueness.
- Everyone can make a positive contribution to the world.
Specific Duties of all Board Members
- Review and approve the annual budget.
- Review and approve major organizational decisions, plans and commitments, including expenditures and program delivery.
- Evaluate progress toward program and financial goals.
- Ensure continuity of Green Generations through development and recruitment of excellent executive staff.
- Advocate strongly on behalf of Green Generations in the community through networking and outreach strategies.
- Identify potential new donors and build support for Green Generations, especially in the corporate giving and foundation community.
- In conjunction with executive staff, provide leadership on organizational growth, structure, and strategic planning.
- Conduct affairs of the Board of Directors including Board development, fundraising, and effectiveness.
- Attend/participate in all major fundraising events (1-2 times/year)
- Help to organize and participate in at least one Board Committee (Events and Fundraising, Outreach and Communications, Curriculum Development, and Human Resources and Operations).
Length of Term and Time Commitment:
- Two-year term commitment
- Attend and actively contribute to quarterly Board of Director meetings, two hours in length on average
- Spend approximately five hours per month on average engaged in Green Generations activities in addition to quarterly board meetings.
- Attend one annual day-long Board/full team retreat (on a weekend day) that counts as one quarterly meeting.
- Must average a minimum of 75% attendance at board and committee meetings either in person or by telephone/video conferencing.
Individual board dues are required and represent a commitment to Green Generations are your primary charity.