Goals & Growth Mentoring - A brighter future begins with you!
- Volunteer Opportunity posted by Be A Mentor
A few hours per month
Long-Term (6 months-1 year)
Goals & Growth Mentoring is one-on-one mentoring with a middle school student, grades 6-8. The focus is relationship building between the mentor and the student to support academic exploration, goal setting, and character and leadership development. Through weekly meetings, mentors work to instill confidence and help the mentee develop skills needed to be successful later in their academic careers. It’s time to pass the torch to the next generation - a brighter future begins with you!
- Be able to commit to at least one school year as a mentor
- Spend a minimum of 3 hours per month with the student in a supervised academic setting Build an encouraging and supportive relationship with one student based on mutual trust and respect
- Serve as a positive role model and caring adult by modeling desirable behaviors (i.e. patience, tolerance, active listening, etc.)
- Accept and relate to youth who may not share the mentor’s lifestyle and values
- Act as a mandated reporter if any child abuse is suspected
- Must be at least 21 years of age
- Successfully pass a background check which costs less than $20
- Provide 2 personal references
- Complete mentor orientation session prior to starting as a mentor
- Be dependable and consistent in meeting time commitments
- Be willing to adhere to all program policies and procedures
- Find satisfaction in working with youth during formative years of development
- Opportunity to serve and share from own life experiences
- Opportunity to engage in new experiences, cultures, and meet new people
Be A Mentor is a local Charleston nonprofit organization that offers 3 signature school-based mentoring programs, partnering with 18 schools and organizations throughout the Lowcountry. Be A Mentor enables youth to develop positive relationships with caring adults who empower them to reach their full potential through mentorship.
- Training Provided