A few hours per week
Long-Term (6 months-1 year)
What We’re Doing
At the Ubuntu Lab we are developing a new kind of public space dedicated to helping people understand people. This space will be a small neighborhood spot that combines a exhibition space dedicated to exploring issues that are in the social, cultural, and political zeitgeist, a design lab for helping people whose voice are in some way marginalized be amplified and brought into these conversations, and a cafe as a community hub to convene people in the space. For the last five years we’ve been working on the underlying foundation of this space: pedagogy, content, experience design, business models, etc. And now we are getting ready to launch.
We have grown a small but fierce following of close in supporters of our work, but we need to build a movement. We need to strategically expand our network using social media, partnership building, and publishing in order to both accomplish our impact goals, and drive successful fundraising and marketing campaigns.
We are looking for someone who can rally people from all walks of life with passion and genuine enthusiasm for our work. Someone who can leverage their own network, reach out to new networks, and perhaps most importantly, help us really exploit the rich networks we currently have. We are looking for someone with social media experience to be sure, but really more importantly who can think creatively and innovatively about how to engage people in a conversation and co-creation.
What You’ll Do
- Run our Social Media Feeds
- Co-author articles with our Executive Director
- Build a strategy for effectively and meaningfully engaging our networks
- Participate in strategic planning
- Contribute to content and design of programming
What You’ll Gain
- A marketable portfolio of accomplishments in social media and community building
- Experience working with design and systems thinking
- Expanding your personal an professional network with our global network of leaders
- Experience working in a startup environment.
- A valuable resume line (our volunteers have parlayed their involvement into careers in diversity and inclusion, educational leadership, and consulting)
- A foot in the door when we start hiring.
Who We Are
At the Ubuntu Lab we are helping people to understand people, because when we all have that literacy we can live better lives, thrive in a diverse world, and solve the greatest challenges we face together. We were founded to help spark a Public Understanding of Humanity; to support people in developing their ability to live and work in a world that is growing exponentially more diverse and interconnected by the day. We are doing this by developing the infrastructure - the spaces, resources, and communities - needed to support learners and educators in developing each of our ability to understand themselves, others, and the society we share. Our founders have worked around the world, with some of the biggest thinkers on empathy, learning, and community as well as leading global shapers and activists to develop a model of understanding and learning framework that is inclusive and impactful.
Learn more at: https://www.theubuntulab.org/aboutus/
How To Apply
Please send us an email with a short statement telling us why you are interested in working with us and something that woudlhelp us understand you that isn’t on your resume, as well as a link to your LinkedIn profile.