A few hours per month
Long-Term (6 months-1 year)
DSTL Arts is a nonprofit arts mentorship organization that inspires, teaches and hires emerging artists from underserved communities.
For more information, please DSTL Arts’ website at www.DSTLArts.org.
The Board will support the work of DSTL Arts and provide mission-based leadership and strategic governance.
While day-to-day operations are led by DSTL Arts’ chief executive officer (executive director), the Board-CEO relationship is a partnership, and the appropriate involvement of the Board is both critical and expected. Specific Board Member responsibilities include:
Leadership, Governance and Oversight
- Serving as a trusted advisor to the CEO as they develop and implement DSTL Arts’ strategic plan
- Reviewing outcomes and metrics created by DSTL Arts for evaluating its impact, and regularly measuring its performance and effectiveness using those metrics; reviewing agenda and supporting materials prior to board and committee meetings
- Approving DSTL Arts’ annual budget, audit reports, and material business decisions; being informed of, and meeting all, legal and fiduciary responsibilities
- Contributing to an annual performance evaluation of the CEO
- Assisting the CEO and board chair in identifying and recruiting other Board Members throughout their term
- Partnering with the CEO and other board members to ensure that board resolutions are carried out
- Serving on committees or task forces and taking on special assignments
- Representing DSTL Arts to stakeholders; acting as an ambassador for the organization
- Ensuring DSTL Arts’ commitment to a diverse board and staff that reflects the communities DSTL Arts serves
DSTL Arts Board Members will consider DSTL Arts a philanthropic priority and make or solicit annual gifts that reflect that priority. So that DSTL Arts can credibly solicit contributions from foundations, organizations, and individuals, DSTL Arts expects to have 100 percent of Board Members make or fundraise an annual minimum contribution of $500.
DSTL Arts’ Board Members will serve a two-year term to be eligible for re-appointment for one additional term. Board meetings will be held monthly, and committee meetings will be held in coordination with full board meetings.
This is an extraordinary opportunity for an individual who is passionate about DSTL Arts’ mission and who has a track record of board leadership. Selected Board Members will have achieved leadership stature in the arts, business, government, law, philanthropy, or the nonprofit sector. Their accomplishments will allow them to attract other well-qualified, high-performing Board Members.
Ideal candidates will have the following qualifications:
- A commitment to, and understanding of, DSTL Arts’ beneficiaries, preferably based on experience
- Personal qualities of integrity, credibility, and a passion for improving the lives of DSTL Arts’ beneficiaries
- Savvy diplomatic skills and a natural affinity for cultivating relationships and persuading, convening, facilitating, and building consensus among diverse individuals
- Extensive professional experience with significant executive leadership accomplishments in the arts, business, government, law, philanthropy, or the nonprofit sector
Service on DSTL Arts’ Board of Directors is without remuneration, except for administrative support, travel, and accommodation costs in relation to Board Members’ duties.