Youth/ Young Adult Committee Members
- Volunteer Opportunity posted by AALUSC (African Ancestral Lesbians United for Societal Change)
Part time (10-30 hrs/wk)
Various Locations throughout NYC
AALUSC is a grassroots community based group run by and for Women of Color (WOC) whom identify under the rainbow of LGBTQI – NGC+.
AALUSC, formerly known as African Ancestral Lesbians United for Societal Change was founded in 1974 as Salsa Soul Sisters, Third World Wimmin Inc. AALUSC is committed to the spiritual, cultural, educational, economic and social empowerment of African Ancestral Womyn. We are dedicated to making our voices heard in advocacy of womyn's rights.
The need for an organization like AALUSC in the Lesbian community in 1974 is not the same for our community in current times and therefore in keeping out doors open, AALUSC is undergoing a rebranding and restructuring. Part of this restructuring includes rebuilding our membership, our board and becoming more diverse in the members we serve and addressing their needs.
AALUSC is seeking Youth and Young Adult LGBTQ women of color looking to volunteer and has an interest in sitting on AALUSC Committees (outlined below). This individual must support and is dedicated to the empowerment, growth, needs and well-being of LGBTQ youth and young women of color
Committee Specific Responsibilities
· Is part of one or more of AALUSC Committees
a. Activities and Events;
b. Community Organizing and Social Justice;
c. Development and Fundraising;
d. Outreach and Recruitment
· Reports to the Committee Chair
· Provides Youth Voice and Perspective with regards to committee goals, ideas and execution
· Ensure goals and activities incorporates the needs and culture of young LGBTQ women of color
· Commitment to organization and its principles, mission, vision and goals
· Commit to a minimum of twelve (10) hours a month
· Participate in Board and Committee meetings and Organizational activities and events
· Assist in developing and organizing fundraising activities
· Utilize skills, talents and ideas to help carry out the mission and vision of AALUSC
· Provide perspective and input by sharing ideas, giving feedback and following through and providing updates on responsibility and tasks
· Must be between the ages of 16 and 24
· Strategic and organizational planning
· Strong leadership and collaborative skills
· Strong communication skills
· Decisiveness in order to tackle and resolve difficult issues and to keep the business of the board moving.
Strong organizational and administrative skills.
- Training Provided
- Language/Cultural Support Available