A few hours per month
Long-Term (6 months-1 year)
81 Highland Ave
Enroot Education is seeking volunteer male mentors to provide 1:1 support to Cambridge and Somerville high school students who are enrolled in our program. Enroot empowers students to achieve academic, career, and personal success through inspiring out-of-school experiences. Students attend Cambridge Rindge & Latin School (CRLS) or Somerville High School and are immigrants to the US. Many are from low-income families. Most are the first in their family to consider going to college.
A MENTOR IS…
A trusted advisor, a role model, a guide, a friend… every relationship is a little bit different. You help a student dream big, set goals, and pursue them. An effective mentor:
- Is a caring adult who is consistent, patient, dependable, and proactive
- Appreciates and celebrates each student's potential
- Is committed to developing a positive relationship with a young person
- Is willing to take the time to introduce a young person to the many options and opportunities in his or her future
MENTORS GUIDE YOUNG PEOPLE IN A VARIETY OF AREAS INCLUDING:
- Building positive relationships
- Exploring careers
- Succeeding in school
- Workplace readiness
- Postsecondary planning
Mentors meet with their mentee once a week for 1-2 hours from fall 2017 to mid-June 2018. Our volunteer hours usually fall on Tuesdays or Thursdays from 6:00-7:30pm.
- All mentors are expected to attend a comprehensive 4-6 hour training. Topics covered include cultural competency and communication, as well as an introduction to mentoring youth. Training sessions are interactive and dynamic, and take place in the early evening hours or on weekends.
How To Apply
Email Alex with any questions at email@example.com
We look forward to hearing from you!