Volunteer Supply Chain Analyst - Logistics and Tracking
- Volunteer Opportunity posted by Village Health Works
Times of day
Full time (30+ hrs/wk)
Short-Term (few weeks/months)
VHW NYC Office - Midtown/Herald Square
Village Health Works (VHW) is a joint American-Burundian non-profit and non-governmental organization (NGO) whose mission is to provide quality, compassionate health care in a dignified environment while treating the root causes of illness, poverty, violence, and neglect in collaboration with those we serve. The organization’s operations are based in Kigutu, in southern Burundi, with support from offices in NYC. VHW’s approach integrates clinical services with education, food security, economic development, environmental protection, music and the arts. VHW’s central program is a clinic that conducted 37,917 patient consultations in 2017 and has 4 inpatient wards. A hospital that will add surgical and emergency obstetrical capacity is currently under construction. In preparation for the hospital’s planned opening in late 2019, VHW is building a supply chain and establishing procurement practices to ensure the efficient and timely delivery of items such as medical equipment and medicines.
The Logistics and Tracking Analyst works under the supervision of the Project Manager –Infrastructure and Supply Chain. This position will support VHW’s procurement from medical equipment, medicines, and IT equipment, to copy paper, construction materials, and vehicles, among other supplies in support of our programs. Daily responsibilities will center around building a tracking system to monitor the status of requests, deliveries, such as medical equipment, in VHW’s supply chain; tracking the status of items in the supply chain, facilitating all needed documentation for customs clearance, and coordinating optimal shipping arrangements for all procured items.
This full-time position requires a minimum commitment of 12 weeks, with a weekly time commitment of 40 hours/week.
· Coordinate closely with Burundi and NYC teams, acting as relationship manager for assigned functional responsibilities in the supply chain.
· Manage order process compliance, including the request for quotations, logistics analyses, and order confirmation processes; ensure the integrity of data in VHW’s tracking systems; coordinate and share information with the Planning and Sourcing Analyst.
· Work with vendors to ensure a high level of service and to resolve discrepancies.
· Assist with additional sourcing, purchasing, data analysis and reporting upon request.
· Facilitate communication with international site staff about their logistics needs, while improving the processes and workflows used to do so.
· Maintain records for all purchase/in-kind donations and shipments, including entering orders into tracking systems, processing invoices for payment, and submitting credit card and in-kind donation reports to the Finance team.
· Document internal processes and protocols as needed.
· Prior work experience in supply chain, sourcing, project management, international logistics and/or administration, or other relatable detail-oriented work.
· Experience implementing process improvements and enjoying them!
· Strong ability with Microsoft Excel.
· Self-motivated and able to work both independently and as part of a larger team.
· Poise, professionalism, and strong communication skills to diverse stakeholders.
· Able to prioritize effectively, managing multiple responsibilities simultaneously and meeting deadlines in a fast-paced environment
· Ability to speak French is preferred, but not required.
Though we hope to impart unique knowledge and skills about supply chain and logistics in global health delivery and facilitate learning amongst our interns, this is an uncompensated volunteer position.
- Training Provided