Times of day
A few hours per week
Short-Term (few weeks/months)
What is FIRST LEGO League?
FIRST LEGO League is an international competition for 4th through 8th grade students where teams create a LEGO Mindstorms robot and solve a real world problem using STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math) concepts and critical thinking skills. FIRST LEGO League promotes discovery, innovation, impact, inclusion, teamwork, and fun!
FIRST LEGO League Referee
Referees observes team robot game matches, identify rule violations, assess the field for scoring of matches, and participate in deliberations regarding contested calls and official scores. Referees work under the direction of the Head Referee. Referees plays a critical role in ensuring smooth flow of match play and maintaining the pace of the event.
Benefits of the Position:
- Surrounded by fast-paced action
- Significant level of responsibility
- High visibility role
- Provides an opportunity to contribute to the successful execution of the competition
- Ability to be tactful and assertive
- Physically demanding role; ability to stand for long periods of time
- Outgoing personality; high energy
- Strong communication, diplomacy skills
- Ability to collaborate with others and work as a team
- Strong assessment skills
- Full day of competition, approximately between 8am and 4pm. Lunch, snacks, and water will be provided.
- Training will be provided during the morning of the event. A training deck will also be sent out.
- Training Provided
How To Apply
Please fill out the Google Form to be placed into the Volunteer Pool for events. Your volunteer position will not be confirmed until you receive further communications from NYC FIRST.