Times of day
A few hours per month
Long-Term (6 months-1 year)
320 Jay Street
The Guardianship Project’s new friendly visiting program aims to provide our clients with more frequent, friendly interaction. Social interaction among the elderly and disabled greatly improves not only their quality of life, but their physical and mental health. Volunteers will offer clients with yet another friendly face from The Guardianship Project. This position helps extend the resources of The Guardianship Project to better assist our clients.
Title: Friendly Visitor
Work location: Variable (dependent on client location)
Purpose of the position:
The visiting volunteer will serve as a companion to clients of The Guardianship Project. Volunteers will engage clients in activities like reading a book, talking, or just being a friendly face. Volunteers will be matched to clients on a 1:1 basis.
Volunteers will visit clients weekly – for at least 30 minutes each time. Visits will take place in the residence where the client resides.
Responsibilities and duties:
· Complete initial orientation/training and attend quarterly meetings of volunteers (quarterly sessions are optional unless otherwise noted)
· Establish a friendly relationship with an adult with multiple disabilities
· Engage clients in activities pertaining to their interests
· Offer companionship and friendship
· Visit clients weekly and provide friendly social interaction
· Notify the volunteer coordinator in a timely manner of any concerns about clients or absences from visits
· Provide ongoing communication to the Volunteer Coordinator
· Good listening skills; friendliness, patience and tact
· Must be dependable and punctual
· Ability to work cooperatively with a wide variety of individuals, including people with significant physical and mental impairments and varying socio-economic backgrounds
· Ability to hold information in confidence
· Strong desire to help people and to further the goals of the monitoring project
· Willingness to provide own transportation to make visits
· Experience with developmental disabilities and/or mental illness is not required
· Background check required
Feedback is essential for maintaining the success of our program. After each client visit volunteers are expected to fill out and return to the Volunteer Coordinator, via email, our feedback form.
Volunteers must be at least 18 years of age.
A commitment of at least 6 months is expected. Contribute 2-4 hours per month; flexible schedule depending on clients’ schedules.
· Volunteers must attend an initial Guardianship Project orientation and training session
· Ongoing support is tailored to each volunteers’ needs
· Ongoing trainings are held every 12 weeks, and are optional for attendance
· Training and supervision provided by Rebecca Dealy, Volunteer Coordinator
How To Apply
Please fill out volunteer application at https://form.jotform.com/70194328305150